Post by bizmen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:34 am

Hello,

My first exterior render using Twilight render. :( :( :(
pool side_1024.jpg
pool side_1024.jpg (143.29 KiB) Viewed 8915 times
for the below development:
aerial view.jpg
aerial view.jpg (246.43 KiB) Viewed 8915 times
The rest of the site components are still WIP. Just want to have a good view of the scene in rendered view, but apparently,
the result is not convincing. Artifacts are seen in the image (pool steel ladder), pool water not showing pool caustics (maybe because from where the camera angle is shot).
Structures where done in Revit, other components from 3DWH, the rest are Sketchup.

Comments and Suggestions are welcome.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Scene at the pool

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Why the sad face? This is looking pretty good so far.

most important:
1) The modeling and material on all the thick squared white curbs is the worst part of these images!
2) Use Exposure Controls in the Camera Tab of the Render Dialog to lighten the shadow areas and brighten up the image.

Did you see the Introductory Video Tutorials linked in my signature below? They show a house with a pool as the main example.

Which render setting is being used? Which metal is used?
Certain metals don't render well with Easy 01-08 settings.

For water, few render engines handle Sun/Pool caustics, so if you are looking for true sun caustics viewed through your pool water it's not going to happen.

be sure to see this:
Subject: To Lighten Dark Water
Subject: Procedural Waters (28) for Twilight by Majid
Subject: Water, Procedural - Dirty and the Sea
more related to pool caustics

Subject: Realistic Water - Fast - in Twilight Render

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:51 pm

exposure fix/pool water lightness/color fix - 5mins post pro
Attachments
pool side_1024-postpro.jpg
pool side_1024-postpro.jpg (175.66 KiB) Viewed 8899 times

bizmen
SketchUp: 8 pro

Post by bizmen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:44 am

Fletch,

Thank you for that compliment, it really boost my spirit to make quality renderings.
As for the water pool tutorial, (skp model that I downloaded from the red carpet section) the pool has tiles that is only above the water level and water with caustics textures were applied on the walls and flooring. Suppose I want the tiles to be all over the walls and floor of pool, what will be the setup if I want to show in the renderings the water with caustics and the image of the tiles under the water. Is this one limited to the capacity of the TW as a rendering engine?,

Thanks.

bizmen
SketchUp: 8 pro

Post by bizmen » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:16 am

Fletch wrote: Which render setting is being used? Which metal is used?
Certain metals don't render well with Easy 01-08 settings.
I render the scene using Easy 08 Exterior, TW Templates /metal/ silver.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:47 am

Sun/pool caustics can not be shown in Easy 08, so you would need to render with caustics using a PMFG render setting. Look in the settings in the "Tech" render settings folder. Look for the ones that say "Caustics" in the name. Always start with lower quality and work your way up. Professional workflow is to use a simplified test render scene using the render settings, camera angle, lighting, and only the geometry/materials you want to test (i.e. just the ground/pool without all the buildings and vegetation, etc) - it saves a lot of time in the end.
Then you can combine the Easy 08 rendering in photoshop with the PMFG rendering with caustics for the water.

Or you can create a texture showing the tiles and pool caustics in a large seamless texture and apply that under the water level of the pool and render the scene with Easy 08.

The drawback with that is that caustics will appear to show up in shadow areas of the pool, where they would not in real life. Not typically a big deal in most visualizations for most clients. It depends on the situation.

Caustics is also enabled in the Easy 1-7 render settings that have the "+" sign next to them.