Newbie questions

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
mogogirl

Newbie questions

Post by mogogirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:04 pm

At the request of a certain someone (you know who you are) I have been asked to post a suggestion here that I posted on Sketchucation forums.

Let me introduce my self...I am Mary and am a complete Sketchup/Rendering virgin so to speak. I had never worked with 3D graphics, animation or rendering before I downloaded Sketchup a few months ago. I am trying to teach myself the art. I am not an architect or designer in anyway, just a paralegal trying to make herself more valuable to her litigation firm. I am hoping to eventually be able to make 3D representations of accident scenes for use as exhibits at mediations, trial, etc.

Having said that. I have made a pretty good start. I have a good attempt at a first model and have introduced animation, via the "proper animation" plugin, to go with it. I would like to attempt to start rendering. I have bought the Twilight program and am attempting to learn the program but it seems a little over my head. I get the general concept, just not how to apply the ideas.

So here's my suggestion. A very basic tutorial or two for absolute beginners to rendering. Here are some of the questions I have about it as a beginner. (1) If I have several scenes made, do I have to redo my rendering in each scene or will the render be automatically applied to all scenes at once? (2) If I am working on rendering a model, do I totally turn off the information under the animation tab, do my work, render it and then go back and save as an animation? (3) When I've tried to render a few surfaces, nothing happens...what have I done wrong? It seems as if I read in the manual there are differnt things you have to do depending on whether a surface is painted or textured thru Sketchup, is this right? (4) If I have a large model, is it going to take as long to render the surface changes as it is to save the animation?(which appears very time consuming) (5) When saving animation I see every frame is saved as a seperate jpeg to my computer. If I have hundreds of frames, is this going to clog up my computer? (6) If I render a model in another program such as SU Podium, will the rendering show up thru Twilight?

I could go on and on...lol. However, let's just say that any help is appreciated but sometimes when I ask (not just on this forum) people forget what it's like to be an absolute beginner and the answers go over my head. For example on the first page of the Twilight User Manual it says there are Multiple Render Methods, Biased and Unbiased, I don't know what those terms mean in reference to Twilight. We need some kind of tutorial that assumes someone knows virtually NOTHING about rendering that will get us started. I know a lot of it is just trial and error and playing around with the program, that's how I've learned Sketchup for the most part, but a little push in the right direction never hurts :)

This is just a suggestion and I'm sorry the post was so long. Thanks for listening and I look forward to working with everyone in the future.

Mary

Big James

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Big James » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:07 pm

You will be well looked after here Mary, from that someone! ;)
Big James
Sketchupartists
Tutorials, Tips & Tricks and Free Resources
Official Facebook Page

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Hi Mary,
This is a fantastic post, and we thank you for being willing to share a dialog with us. :D

We knowingly stated "biased and unbiased" in the features, because people "in the know" and reading the features list will be impressed. We are, quite possibly, unique in being able to claim that you can use up to 5 different rendering methods with our engine.

I will not try to answer all the questions here, but will try to put together a good tutorial for someone "completely new"... this is a very good idea.

What is a Render Method? What does Biased or UnBiased or Progressive Rendering mean?
for now, I can't resist a small answer - A "method" means simply "a way of calculating light to give you an image"
"Biased" means that the "method" is, to use a legal term... a "biased witness"... some lawyers would not like a biased witness, or juror, while the other sides' lawyer might like it very much :D .... So in "Biased" methods, the method calculates only "some" of the pixels in your image to be accurate, and because it's "biased" it decides what to think about the other pixels. (I will assume you know what a pixel is... the little point of color either printed or shown using lights on your computer screen that represents a color) This means that in some cases it will be faster, because it's not worried about every little pixel in your image... just the 'major' ones, and interpolates (makes an educated guess) the rest.
"UnBiased" means that the "method" will calculate every bounce of every ray of light to the nth degree and never stop unless you tell it "that's good enough".

In Twilight, anything that says "Progressive" in the "Easy" render settings is "UnBiased".
-------------------------------
Just because they are unbiased, does not mean they are equal. Each has a particular forté.
They are named to help you decide.

For your job, I would pick the 'quickest' setting that looks good. Since you don't need perfect photo realism (or do you?)... you probably want something "good enough"... in that case, I would just use the default sky setting, change the Sun slider to position "0" because this will speed up render times significantly, or (uncheck the soft shadow option for the sun).

Figure out the resolution you want. (there's a chart of standard sizes in the manual to help you decide).

Turn off animation rendering for preliminary / practice renderings.

Unless you are animating your sun, in SU be sure to use the Scene manager and TURN OFF FOR ALL SCENES EVERYTHING EXCEPT "CAMERA"... otherwise, if you change the sun to a different position, and hit the other scene button, you will lose your new sun position.

Probably Never use more than 'prelim' for rendering your preliminary renderings, it's a waste of your time. Set frame rate to 5 fps for practice renderings keeping prelim as the setting. Then do one frame with "Medium" (no plus) or "Low", and see if that is "good enough" for court. If so, set your fps to 24 (this is just like the movies use that you see at the theaters) and render the animation.

Since you have moving objects, be sure to choose the right type of animation that says "has animated objects".

After you have all these image (and yes, they take a lot of space - go buy an external hard drive, 500Mb ones are CHEAP and it will last you a very long time... and or you can get a Terabyte which should last you for many years worth of animations)

Now you need to piece these images together using a video editor. I like Virtual Dub because it's simple, quick, and free. I will post a tutorial for using it.
TUTORIAL AVAILABLE: Making a movie - I have these images, now what?

Will continue to update this post...

mogogirl

Post by mogogirl » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 pm

Thanks all, this is a great beginning!

Fletch, you are correct, I probably won't be needing photo realistic imaging for my purposes (but eventually might like to give that a go). I will take your suggestions and start to work with them. I will look into an external hard drive.

There is no rush on these tutorials, I have nothing coming up that I have to have a model done for anytime soon. The one I'm working on is just a scene from one of our cases I thought would be the easiest to recreate. (The boss is already impressed with what I have so far :D ).

You guys are great...hope you have a great weekend and I'm sure you'll be hearing my cries for help again next week..lol.

Mary

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:41 pm

updated original post with "an easy one"... because I had written it a long time ago, just had to update it a little.