Cabinetry Photo shoot

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Pg09

Cabinetry Photo shoot

Post by Pg09 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:24 am

Hey guys,

after years away from Twilight and cg in whole it is time to refresh my skillz, errr i mean learn Twilight finally.

I chose a cabinetry model i made at work, exported from Archicad to Sketchup and now i am trying to prepare a decent render that i can share with others.

I got Raymans studio light setup and i think it looks nice. I also followed Fletches GIF* to create a LED light in the kitchenette and that turned out to be nice too although i had to up the Effiacy much more than in was shown in the video for some reason.

My to do list is:
1. replace accessories with better ones from the warehouse
2. refine model - well i am not sure if beveling the model is worth it (i dont have Pro for the Material Bevel) but surely the doors in the bottom need to be adjusted.
3. materials

*had to watch a couple of million times to catch everything, too fast for me :)
Cheers,

Adam

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Cabinetry Photo shoot

Post by Fletch » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:24 pm

You need realistic electronic equipment models - all available in 3D Warehouse.

You need to build the doors as they would be in real life, or at least use Wireframe Edge Lines feature on your material for the cabinets.
Subject: How To Render Edge Lines (wireframe) Only

Watch the video tutorial linked in my signature below for materials, see also our tutorials on our website for materials settings.

We have changed, recently, how light power is valued in Twilight, so that now it's much easier to define your light's specific power using lumens or watts, but this has necessitated that our light powers are changed slightly from the past. So it makes sense that the light power in the old tutorial may not work with current version of Twilight Render.

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:43 am

Thanks Fletch!

So if i understand correctly, i have to change all materials(is there a quick way to do that?) to this Wire Material and then save a shot and over lay it in Photosop?

I have to admit i have been lazy and instead of that i just took a Hidden Line jpg and blend it it with the render to get the lines.
Here is where i am now. I sent a lot of time on finding good textures and still they are not that good.

Cheers,

Adam

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:04 am

Sorry, pg09, you have not understood correctly. :(
If you carefully read the information I mentioned above (should take only a few minutes!) I think it will become clear.
See intermediate-materials-1
and intermediate-materials-2

Here's an example of edge lines settings - the weld angle is important!
In the "Advanced" pulldown panel, check "Enable Edge Lines" then set edge line thickness, then set weld angle to the angle where you want to start seeing the edge lines.

There is no auto-magic way to add wireframe to all materials, and I wouldn't recommend it in most cases, however, I would just use wifeframe edge lines with the material used for the cabinets.
Your textures look good, I think the problem is one or all of the following:
1 the lighting is too flat,
2 nothing for it to reflect from this camera angle, or
3 the wood texture is not glossy/shiny enough. Try something like this:

:>: :>: :>: To fix your lighting studio, please see what happened for John when he placed his Chevy in a good photo studio.

Here is an example of wood, but with a bevel modifier (v2 Pro only) but it's still a good example of wood shininess.

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:47 am

Fletch, thank you and yes i have to admit i only skimmed through the other thread - so thanks for making the effort of a detailed reply again. I will read more carefully this time but wont have time to do much before the weekend.

RE: wood - i used the wood/flat template but of course the the glossy-paint finish is much closer to a veneer material.
Cheers,

Adam

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:44 am

So i read through that thread again and tried out that method too. It is good to have it in my arsenal but since it works on all lines it need some planning ahead while with the other method you play with it after.

I did not have time to fix the lighting studio and reflections because i had to show the renders to the client. The good news is that they loved them which is not surprising as most people probably cant simply visualize line drawings.

I could do more tweaking but i already had to move on the next projects (probably will post some of those too)

Attachments
9kqxdt.jpg
9kqxdt.jpg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
14ty4k2.jpg
14ty4k2.jpg (86.09 KiB) Viewed 9953 times
Cheers,

Adam