Immediate Bug Splat When Starting Render

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Jeff

Immediate Bug Splat When Starting Render

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:20 pm

I have a very large Sketchup drawing that Bug Splats immediately every time I start a render. This has happened to me before with other models, and usually I just give up. It doesn't seem to matter which version of Sketchup I'm using or which version of Twilight I'm using, it still happens. My models are typically very large in size (250 to 350 MB plus), so not sure if I'm just exceeding Twilight's capabilities or if there's a problem with my model(s) that can be fixed. Below is a link to access the drawing. Please help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb1zwzgsvrnnd ... 9.skp?dl=0

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Immediate Bug Splat When Starting Render

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:23 pm

What version of SketchUp are you using? Have you tried a 64 bit version (2015)? How much RAM do you have?

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:39 pm

I am using the 64-bit version of Sketchup Pro 2015. I have 16 GB of RAM.

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:44 pm

For some reason I'm not able to download your file from dropbox. I'll try again in a bit. You might want to check it yourself and see if it's working.

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:59 pm

That's weird...It worked for me.

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Looks like its just on my end. Its working in a different browser (don't normally have problems with dropbox...maybe it's the size of the file).

Jeff

Post by Jeff » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:00 pm

Were you able to come to any conclusions? Were you able to render it?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:07 am

scene opens fine, first glance at scene says something major is wrong... there is no apparent reason for the file to be so large!
Attempted first render: bugsplat.

There are some pretty big problems with the file that do not likely have anything to do with Twilight. My guess is that you have a good idea what the problem items might be, and you should attempt to fix them. The model seems to be a 3D warehouse model that was likely created from a obj file import... I would start there. I ran the diagnostics for Twilight and did not see anything out of the ordinary. The grass scattering could be causing part of the problem. I would hide the ACAD imported geometry, and hide the grass to begin next step of testing. I would try importing/rendering just the play equipment in a separate clean SketchUp scene and see if it will render without any other info in the scene. If it does, then it's likely the other objects in the scene that are causing the splat.

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:10 am

It does bug splat. I have tried paring it down to find out what the cause might be but haven't found it yet.

You know you have over 16,000 Component Definitions and each definition is only used 1 time each? And that's just for the small patch of exercise equipment. I realize that probably the geometry was imported from an external editor of some kind (AutoCAD or whatnot). Whether that is the cause of the problem or not, I don't know. You might want to investigate if there is a way to export geometry in a way that combines objects into a single object. (Not my area of expertise)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:52 pm

ThomThom's CleanUp3 script worked for over an hour on the exercise equipment alone and found hundreds and hundres of problems with it... I'm 100% sure this is causing your problem issue. Explode that gym so that it has no components, and purge the model, then it may work.
Also, the grass components are potentially problematic. You should set the grass blade to be a proxy component in Twilight, then it will also likely work better. But it is not the main problem.