Getting Started Questions

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Getting Started Questions

Post by ntxdave » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:08 pm

I am just getting started with Twilight and have no background/experience using rendering software. While I have watched some of the tutorials, I have a couple of very basic questions (see the image below):
  • How do I control the color in the shiny metal. This is item 1 in the image. I always get this reddish color. I have the environment set to Physical Sky. The block wall is part of what SketchUp drawing. Should I save that as a background image and then have the model on just a plain background? Perhaps I am going about this all wrong. I just need some direction for getting started.
  • The second one is even more disturbing though. When you look at item 2, it certainly should not be that color at all. It should be a gray color. I selected the SketchUp color and made darn sure that is the color I wanted but no matter what I do it shows up as this blue color.
IPStripper-1-questions.jpg
IPStripper-1-questions.jpg (76.86 KiB) Viewed 13079 times
As I said, I am just getting started and would like some pointers to get me headed in the right direction. I am pleased that I was able to make the metal (at least on the top part) nice and shiny but am obviously not getting started correctly.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Getting Started Questions

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi ntxdave,
Check my signature where you will find links to all the tutorials you need.

For the blue material, it's likely because your faces in your model are reversed. Change to monochrome view to check.
See the preflight checklist.

The reflection of the pink-sunset sky in the metal is giving you the color. So change the sky to a single "sky color" see the Tutorial links for changing your metal.
It appears you are trying to render a single object to display a product. If so, try looking at these threads on product photography:
Subject: Jewelry and Product Shots - the Right Light
Subject: Rogue's Ford Falcon from 3DWarehouse
Subject: BMW 750i Car Ready to Render in Twilight

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the one surface was a reversed race which I corrected.

I did change the sky to a single color but now the metal does not look as shiny as it did. I will check out the sources you suggested. Guess it is all part of the learning process.

This is just a sample to help me get started learning how to use Twilight. At some point I might upgrade to the Pro version but just wanted to try learn how to render with the hobby version. I am not trying to create photo realistic renders. I just would like to have a higher quality view of my render of my SketchUp model.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:05 am

metal looks better under the right lighting. If there's nothing to reflect it will look flat/dull.
So, it needs to be in a "studio" light setup as I mentioned/linked above.

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Post by JGA » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:15 pm

You could put something else behind the camera for the metal surface to reflect back - another wall, as long as it isn't big enough to cast a shadow.
Your brick texture looks more like paviors, if you want to improve the realism.
Tweaking the exposure in TL or an image editor would help improve the finished image as well. It's well worth looking through the tutorials put up by Fletch & others, they are a good insight on how the "masters" do it.
Is that some kind of steam punk heated towel rail, by the way? :o
JGA

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:45 pm

JGA wrote:You could put something else behind the camera for the metal surface to reflect back - another wall, as long as it isn't big enough to cast a shadow.
Your brick texture looks more like paviors, if you want to improve the realism.
Tweaking the exposure in TL or an image editor would help improve the finished image as well. It's well worth looking through the tutorials put up by Fletch & others, they are a good insight on how the "masters" do it.
Is that some kind of steam punk heated towel rail, by the way? :o
Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "put something else behind the camera" (like a wall or some object) and how do you do that?
This is a piece of equipment in a car wash. It is a form of dryer that goes at the end of the conveyor.

Here is a more recent render of that piece of equipment:
IP Stripper-HDRI-1g.jpg
IP Stripper-HDRI-1g.jpg (118.99 KiB) Viewed 13030 times
I hope you like it a little better.......I am still learning.

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Post by JGA » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:23 am

Looking good :^:
Building a wall would give the metal something to reflect, but it looks like you've used an HDR environment, which will give the same result.
JGA

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:59 pm

:^: better