Washtub shot

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
wro

Washtub shot

Post by wro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:50 pm

So, that is as far as I get for now. Please comment and help me improve. Also, please give a comment if one can still see smudges from the postpro, as I have great issues with my monitor calibration - what looks good already on mine looks like a big pile of sh..eer poverty on some other monitors. I will value hard bashing on this, as it is my third render overall.
waschbecken1post.jpg
waschbecken1post.jpg (344.45 KiB) Viewed 8809 times
Last edited by wro on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Washtub shot

Post by Chris » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi wro, it looks like your image didn't get attached... :?

wro

Post by wro » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Seems like no linking from google drive (I could see it ;D). Is it now visible? Thx

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:12 pm

Nice. I really like the dramatic lighting and the overall scene presentation. A good job.
The green tile needs to be shinier with much lower bump in order to be realistic. And the tub doesn't have enough polygons for the curve.

wro

Post by wro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:28 pm

Thanks. Yeah, i will need to remodel the tub anyway same goes for beveling the edges of the table.

The tiles are far from good, but now that I can access deep editor I will fiddle with them as well (basically i would only like to have the joints beveled, not so much bump on the face - they should be flat. For that I need speculars and whatnot, I guess? tried the checkers procedural but was not able to get it in synch).

Shot will get more interesting when I am done with the bedroom behind, so it can reflect in the mirror and then the camera angle can be flattened. What do I do to get them towels right?

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Are your tiles modeled, or is it a texture? If it's a texture, you can make a custom bump map that effects the grout lines with very little bump on the tiles themselves.

wro

Post by wro » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:56 pm

They are a texture. It is all a part of a model of a whole condo (so I can't really afford to model them, or should I?). I kind of know, what I need to do, but not really how to get there (regarding the tiles). here is a closer and better shot at the tiles I had in mind (still not really, I kind of want them to be flat, but the pattern should be a little plastic, but not as shown. Still trying to put the normal, bump, specular and occlusion in the right places). let's disregard the filling between the tiles for a second, which I am not happy with being just black either, but that may again depend on the cold neon light here, I will know soon enough.

like in the (1) it is too plastic, the tile should be flat, but the pattern should be a little higher than the base tile, somewhat plastic, but just like the thick paint, so I know my maps are not right.

The other one shows the effect I want to achieve better, but I know I am way off it. Just thinking, if the right way to go would be to add two diffrent textures in the deep editor? Well I am going to fiddle on it further, but any help is welcome. I just don't want you to think I am lazy and want ready solutions, but any help on this is welcome. Provided you could make out what I want to achieve ;)

Here is the image without the comments; disregard everything beside the tiles, i know it looks bad here:

Thanks for your replies, I have still a long way to go and with your help I hope to find some shortcuts ;)

Chris

Post by Chris » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:18 am

Actually I think this second attempt at the tile is fantastic. At first I thought it was a reference photo of the effect you were trying to achieve! :D

You are correct that if you want to "layer" the darker green onto the lighter green, and have the lighter green be more glossy than the darker, you will need to use an image as a mask to combine two layers. It can be a bit complicated when first starting out using the deep material editor, but once you get the hang of layers and cut and paste (which is a huge time saver with the deep material editor) it comes together pretty quick. Here is an example material you can look at.
TileExample.zip
(54.11 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
If you need help on importing material libraries, check out this tutorial: https://www.twilightrender.com/index.ph ... -libraries.

wro

Post by wro » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:30 am

You think? to me it does not yet look right just where I marked it. Actually I try to figure out, where to put the diffrent maps (I know where the normal map goes and the specularity. The bump as well, but where should I insert the occlusion map?) I am hell of confused with some parts of the tutorial .pdf ;)

I have downloaded the material you provided and this is somewhat what I am trying to achieve. Not really, since I want the pattern paint to be somewhat like another layer with some thickness to it and probably slightly diffrent reflection and refraction properties, but it comes quite close, thank you, will use to get there.

Thank you so far, more shots will follow, more comments always welcome and I need them badly :)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:00 am

Were you able to import Chris' material above?

Here's a test rendering with a modified version of Chris' tile material. (to view full resolution right-click the image below and choose "open in new tab")
I set the Green layer to have IOR of 3.0 - somewhat metallic look
I set the white layer to have IOR of 1.52 - glass
I changed the color of the green a bit.

I modified his black and white mask image to have a little grout line between the tiles... see attached.

I rendered with Alternative AA render settings 04b.
Attachments
tileexample.jpg
tileexample.jpg (360.76 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
ANTIQUE A-3-grout.jpg
ANTIQUE A-3-grout.jpg (91.3 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
tileexample-deepmat.jpg
tileexample-deepmat.jpg (199.8 KiB) Viewed 8760 times