Animated Gif Bump Map

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Empyfree
SketchUp: 2017

Animated Gif Bump Map

Post by Empyfree » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Please bear with me, I'm quite new to rendering my models and very new to Twilight (about a week now!)

I've had some basic success with renders, managed to get some nice volumetric lighting effects (I work in the events industry) and overnight last night I managed to render a ten second long animation which had a plasma screen in the scene with moving content on it's screen! I was very excited to find I could use animated GIF's in the texture slot.

I then noticed I had the same option in the Bump map slot. Below is a quick animation I've just rendered with an animated gif (some basic caustics from Apple Motion) loaded into the Bump slot. My question is... how do you work out what resolution to make a texture for an application like this, and how should I load/position/scale the bump texture. I get how to do it for the actual texture layer (still image first, then replace with animation) but the bump layer doesn't have this capability.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Animated Gif Bump Map

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:06 pm

I get how to do it for the actual texture layer (still image first, then replace with animation) but the bump layer doesn't have this capability.

The bump texture will be mapped to the texture placed in SketchUp, exactly as you described for the Diffuse Channel (Color channel)

If you know how large your final rendering is going to be, then you generally know that you can keep your textures lower resolution than the final rendering. The exception is for any texture that will be seen close enough to the camera that it will fill a significant proportion of the frame.

Check out the topic High Resolution Textures - How big is big enough? which can be found in the Master List of Resources

Empyfree
SketchUp: 2017

Post by Empyfree » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Cheers Fletch. I'll try that out and see what I can make of it.

For this little test I'll aim for a finished render of 720x576 pixels. The water is about 80% of the total width of the render at most, so I'll try a texture of around 576 pixels square...

I'll upload the resulting animation when it's done. fingers crossed!

Drew.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:21 pm

:clap:
This is one of the cool features of Twilight Render, and definitely one that a lot of people miss. So cool to see someone use it in a very effective way! Well done, I love it!
:^: