New Projects

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
SpookyChick
SketchUp: SU 2017

New Projects

Post by SpookyChick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:22 pm

I've been playing with SubD for the last month or so, and finally feel confident enough about my work to start posting some of those pieces. I also came up with a workaround or two for rendering issues I've had.
I'll be attaching more images soon, including an interior scene or two, for posodrac, re: an earlier conversation ;) .
SF-31 Star Knight Aerospace Superiority Light Intercept Fighter.  Radiator / Stabilzers folded for Landing
SF-31 Star Knight Aerospace Superiority Light Intercept Fighter. Radiator / Stabilzers folded for Landing
SF-31 StarKnight V2.0 Landed.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 8202 times

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Re: New Projects

Post by posodrac » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Girl... are those guns? Wow, you'r so violent!!! :shock:
Good fluid and organic lines :^: Although I would like to see the alien hardware instead our aerospace culture.
:gj: :hug:
Do you want to check one of my first major and insane attempt with SU?
https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/ ... Spacekraft
Last edited by posodrac on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RTD Laboratories
SketchUp: Make 2017

Post by RTD Laboratories » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:52 pm

That's an interesting design, I like it :^: Did you come up with that one yourself?
And I gotta agree, SubD is a great plugin. Altho, not sure if I'm alone with this opinion, but I'd like a bit more versitility from if for that price...
Andrew F

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Post by Mike1158 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:14 pm

Great, very Star Wars, almost the original vessel the Princess got to travel in during the first film.

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 pm

posodrac wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm Girl... are those guns? Wow, you'r so violent!!! :shock:
Me? I'm not violent...I'm just very, very proactive about planetary self-defense... :rofl:

Actually, I grew up on a steady diet of military Sci-fi, and Star Wars (R.I.P., old friend), listening to the Vietnam vet down the block swap stories with my grandfather(Korean War).

Thanks for the compliment on the lines of the fighter! I worked for several day to create a proper quad mesh that would subdivide properly. Finally got something I'm satisfied with. It's only the third or fourth I've done in the last five years. I got tired of all previous efforts looking too much like an F-16.

That one's yours?! :o Great work, I've admired that one for awhile now. Much more realworld than most of the stuff I do. I like the lines of it, and the segmentation. Good surface texturing, without too much geometry, and without too much forcing of bump maps. Awesome stuff my friend. :clap:

RTD; Yeah, that one's mine. I don't do models of anything commercially established. I admit to sometimes being inspired by other stuff; every artist is, but anything I model is very much my own design, start to finish, since I do hope to make a go of this business.

Also, it's a personal policy I adopted after seeing too many people making yet another exact copy of something from their favorite fandom, Which Shall Not be Named(cue the Lovecraftian music).

As far as SubD, I like it. I'm not sure if I need more versatility from it, but a little more forgivenenss would be nice.

Mike, thanks for the compliment. I can assure you, Queen Amidala, and the SR-71 of Bling had nothing to do with this! :lol: More to come over the weekend.

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Here's another scene I did. Everything you see is done with SubD and quad mesh. All textures are also my creations. I came across some good fractal mapping software awhile back.
Passenger liner Swift Arrow, inbound to Shin Yamato with a load of Tourists.  The moons Neko-chan, and Inu-kun, can be seen in the background.
Passenger liner Swift Arrow, inbound to Shin Yamato with a load of Tourists. The moons Neko-chan, and Inu-kun, can be seen in the background.
Shin Yamato 7 .png (639.55 KiB) Viewed 8191 times

posodrac
SketchUp: SU 17 Make

Post by posodrac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:09 am

How you people end up with these names? :rofl:
I supose Inu-Kun is the farest moon :geek:
abandon_project.jpg
abandon_project.jpg (49.17 KiB) Viewed 8175 times
Having you as an expert, do you think this has potencial?

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Thank you; I would hardly consider myself an expert. :oops: However, if you wish my opinion, I think the design has potential overall, as long as symmetry is maintained across the axis of thrust. I see the beginnings of a good symmetrical design there, along with a nicely rational hull structure. I'm not crazy about the onion dome sort of pokey bulges, toward the tail; but then I don't know what they are there for, or why they look like that. Overall, a good looking design with lots of potential, especially in a near-future setting! :hat:

Inu-kun would be the largest of the two. The first explorers, aboard the scout ship Inquiry decided to name them that as a result of how the two moons were eternally chasing one another, like a cat and a dog, respectively.

I have had several debates over the years about the symmetry issue with people in the sci-fi community on the net. The fans of that which shall not be named think asymmetry is just fine :wall: , Star Wars (RIP) fans think the same thing to a lesser degree (they at least don't put heavy things at the end of thin sticks :roll: ) Babylon 5 fans get what I'm talking about from the start, and most other generic sci-fi fans and modelers seem to think designing a starship is about as hard as drawing a cartoon of a 747-400. :rofl:

If you do not maintain balance and symmetry across the axis of thrust, your ship will tumble. Zero-g vacuum environments are not as forgiving as 1 g atmospheric environments :emp: Even if you compensate by vectoring thrust, as one woman who is an actual airline pilot suggested, your ship will be flying sideways to some degree. Better to build it right in the first place.

SpookyChick

Post by SpookyChick » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Her are a few preliminary renders from a project I'm working on. The project consists of the essential interior shots of Serenity Starfighter base, on Luna. Please keep in mid most of these are preliminary, , as this is a WIP, so the quality is not as high as I would normally strive for. I have included one image involving a little post pro to show optical distortion resulting from antigrav units in use.
Serenity Starfighter Base, Mare Serenetatis, Luna.  Two SF-31s readying for takeoff as Lunar CSP
Serenity Starfighter Base, Mare Serenetatis, Luna. Two SF-31s readying for takeoff as Lunar CSP
Lunar Starfighter Base Hangar 4 .jpg (969.02 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
As above, View from above in Pri-Fly, aka Primary Flight Control.
As above, View from above in Pri-Fly, aka Primary Flight Control.
Lunar Starfighter Base Hangar 6 .jpg (810.04 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
As before;  However, note antigrav distortions under fighters.
As before; However, note antigrav distortions under fighters.
Lunar Starfighter Base Hangar 6 PostPro .jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 8054 times
Distrortions were easily added in GIMP 2.8.22 using IWarp, in about three minutes. Nice to have post pro go quickly for a change. :whoot:

Upcoming renders will have lunar terrain exteriors visible through atmosphere curtain. I usually prefer to get the rest of the scene arranged first. I am also going to be changing the windows looking out from Pri-Fly over the launch bay, to something with rounded corners, thus being better suited for dealing with pressure changes if, or when they happen.

Haven't been all that productive lately with the flu going around, and coming back around. :wall: Poor sleep is a real productivity killer. :(

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Post by Mike1158 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 pm

G'day Catherine, I know what you mean about Trekkies and B5 fans although I am somewhat odd in liking both. B5 is much grittier and down to earth (pardon the pun) while the Trek Universe is all ideals and fundamental change for the common good. I am very happy with the progress on some of the toys from both generations of sci-fi with force fields being mimicked with electron manipulation, demonstrated on Click the BBC program on science and the communicator morphing into the mobile phone. Being an old phart it often surprises me when stuff becomes more main stream than sci-fi. The pads in Trek for books etc now a reality and I hate them. Much happier with paper in my hands. Engine wise, I still have not seen my favourites being looked into but then that would be linking two or three methods in reality and shock horror, mean companies cooperating which is about as likely as money becoming outdated and irrelevant by next tuesday, 3pm or so would be good. There are several really interesting theorems on artificial gravity about too which should be realised by about 2357 and not three minutes to midnight either. I have tried many times to design a starship and they look ;like something straight out of the oven but made from plastic. Oh well, back to the drawing pad........

Your renders look to have promise and I think that vessel is great, I will have much interest in development. To quote in diction if not directly, Renders looking good, they are.

Good luck with the flu, and the one that flu over the cuckoo's nest too. :hat: