Kitchen Test

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Re: Kitchen Test

Post by ntxdave » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:55 pm

Tuna, IMO this is much nicer. I like the tone better than the yellow tinted original one.

Fletch, Thanks a ton for you link. That is exactly the type of info/explanation I needed to read to understand those settings better. Yes, I have watched some videos before, but that info helps me understand things a lot better. :^:

Now a dumb question: Is there any way to try any of the add-ons to see if they will add anything to/improve my renders?

tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Post by tuna57 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:37 pm

ntxdave , for sure it's a "different strokes " kind of thing between the two images...... keep in mind the "yellow tone" in the first image is pretty much a direct result of the reflected light off of the yellow walls of the room so I'd say the first image is more of a real world image of the space based on the textures colors. Just washed out the yellow in post pro for the second image. Maybe not as "real world" but some folks may find the result more pleasing to their eye.
Have no clue if there is a "trial" period for the Twilight add-ons ( I don't think there is ). I will say based on some posts by other Twilight users the "Denoise" add on is well worth the cost if your machines graphics card will support it. Also I think there is a sale going on right now.
TwilightPro V2.11

pbacot
SketchUp: 2019

Post by pbacot » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 pm

I've found that you have to simply go with what you think will work in the final medium in regard to color. the first image looks best on my Mac screen, and the second looks best on my DELL screen. IF you print it, you'll get a different result. So I decided that fussing at the nuances of color is only significant if you control the presentation.

Nice work and thanks for the info.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:34 am

The half-price introduction sale for the add-ons is unfortunately ended.

That said, the denoise add-on (no trials, again, sorry) is well worth the price it cuts render times in half - be sure to read hardware requirements before purchase.

That image after post-process also looks great! :^:

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:05 pm

pbacot , appreciate your comments. If there is one thing I've learned with this rendering jazz is you can make yourself pretty crazy trying to second guess what other people will like :totgm:

Fletch . Thanks again. For the record I still think Twilight is one of the best deals going for price versus quality of results and the new Denoise add on just adds to that value. Now if you guys can only figure out how to make it work on a Mac :whistle: ..........
TwilightPro V2.11

SpookyChick
SketchUp: SU 2017

Post by SpookyChick » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Kirei! the color temperature looks perfect! Also, the sunlight spilling on the floor looks much more apparent now (to my eyes, anyway :lol: ) I meant to mention the other day; I absolutely adore the clock on the wall in your render. So cheerfully retro -60s! It really draws the eye, and provides an interesting, but harmonious detail to break up what would otherwise be a blank expanse of wall.

With either set of lighting and color temperature settings, it's a beautiful kitchen. It looks comfortable to work in and blessedly non-industrial.

You are so right, color and lighting in renders is a matter of taste and perception. I myself don't care much for warm colors on walls, mainly because of years of living in cheap apaato where the slumlo- I mean, landlord had chosen to put down dark beige carpet and paint everything Navajo white so it wouldn't show dirt. On the other hand, someone who spent too much time in places like my current house would probably want warm colors.

My current decor is stark white with the occasional colored accent wall, and a starfield / planetscape mural occupying one wall of the living room. Of course there's lumber and sawhorses and tools all over, because remodeling... :lol:

The great thing about rendering is that we can each adjust things to our (or our audience's) tastes.

You do beautiful work, tuna! It's a pleasure to look at, and thank you so much for showing it to us!

Ja ne!

tuna57

Post by tuna57 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words SpookyChick :^:
TwilightPro V2.11

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:04 pm

tuna57 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:05 pm Now if you guys can only figure out how to make it work on a Mac :whistle: ..........
It is an implementation of NVIDIA's AI denoise, so if your Mac has an NVIDIA card that supports the right version of CUDA there's a possibility.