Lights inside glass Object

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
MaBlacho

Lights inside glass Object

Post by MaBlacho » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:00 pm

I tried to find the answer to my question on twilight render forum, manual and website. My question is: I've tried many options, but still, lights do not light up when I placed them inside the glass. Thank you for any help I can get on this forum.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Lights inside glass Object

Post by Chris » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:28 pm

Can you post an example scene, and a description of what you expect? Often the solution is using architectural glass instead of "real" glass.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Lights inside glass Object

Post by Fletch » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:58 pm

Creating Light Fixtures is a simple thing once you get used to it, but can be confusing at first.

Here's one tutorial about Lights inside of a glass object:
Subject: Light Bulb - aka "Come on, baby, light my bulb!"

Please follow the full new video series 6 Essentials to Rendering with Twilight Render - it is specifically designed to cover all major areas of working with Twilight Render. Modeling, Cameras, Materials, Environment, Lighting, and Rendering.
Note video number 5 is a very careful and thorough discussion of Lighting. ;)

That said, the glass surrounding the light fixture must be set to "thin glass" which in Twilight Material Templates is "Architectural Glass>Common". You won't see the light object, as it's infinitely small, see explanation below:

Subject: Interior Lighting - Glowing Pendant Lights
Fletch wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:15 pm It appears that you are rendering from the top looking down and you have the sun enabled.
Disable the sun. It is likely over-powering your other lighting.

Next, you will not actually see the twilight light object, it does not render as if it were a real light bulb. It is an infinitely small point of light, no matter what you tell the radius to be. The program will calculate the shadows as if the light is the correct radius, but it continues to be a theoretical perfect point of light.

In order to see a light bulb, you must insert a bulb.

For lighting architecture please watch our lighting for architecture video.