Render Engine Reset Taking Long

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
djcyph

Render Engine Reset Taking Long

Post by djcyph » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:27 pm

Is there anything specific that cause the render engine reset time to take long? For a 2 second prelim render it's taking like 20-30 seconds to reset.

Only happening in one file

djcyph

Re: Render Engine Reset Taking Long

Post by djcyph » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 pm

ok so it's definitely my image files being too big. I scaled them down @ .5 and geometry processing went from 31 seconds to 3. I make my images to scale in illustrator since these projects are eventually printed. This one specifically, the images are 8'x8'(6912 × 6913 72x72). When I did the .5 scale for this, quality is fine. If I ever have future projects where there's immense details on a large image, do you think I will ever notice quality reduction are less scale/resolution?

If so, is there a better way to use large resolution pictures? Right now I file import as an image and apply a image template via twilight. I tried applying image as material to a face and took just as long.

Thanks!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Render Engine Reset Taking Long

Post by Fletch » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:37 am

djcyph wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:53 pm ok so it's definitely my image files being too big. I scaled them down @ .5 and geometry processing went from 31 seconds to 3. I make my images to scale in illustrator since these projects are eventually printed. This one specifically, the images are 8'x8'(6912 × 6913 72x72). When I did the .5 scale for this, quality is fine. If I ever have future projects where there's immense details on a large image, do you think I will ever notice quality reduction are less scale/resolution?

If so, is there a better way to use large resolution pictures? Right now I file import as an image and apply a image template via twilight. I tried applying image as material to a face and took just as long.

Thanks!
Hello djcyph,

Unfortunately, I've re-read your message several times, and I'm not sure that I am understanding what you are trying to do, or what you are asking. Please provide some images / screenshots with notes that help clarify your question, and we will do our best to answer you.

It makes sense that a nearly 7000x7000px image would take a long time to render - my guess that the geometry processing time is increased is that there are other processes happening under the umbrella term of "geometry processing" - part of this is the "warm up" portion of the rendering and if you are rendering with Easy09 this includes preparing for a 3x3 supersampling (photonshooting, etc), while I believe that the Easy11 has supersampling disabled, which is the only difference between the two settings.

Supersampling means that for each pixel in the final image a matrix of 3x3 (=9) pixels were actually rendered.

So when you are rendering a 7000px image, your computer actually is thinking about 9x the pixels - quite a few :shock: you must have a good machine.

By rendering 1/2 size image, you are reducing the image rendered by the image but greater than half. So it makes sense that it "warms up" more quickly.

The algorithm for increasing your rendered image size in Topaz Gigapixel or in Photoshop are much better today than they were even last year at this time. So, I encourage you to render as small as you can, and increase the image size in photoshop 2020 (this is the version with the new enlargement algorithm).

For an 8'x8' image, you would need only 32px/inch because the viewer distance is such to make it equal to a 4'x4' image viewed from half the distance. This is a much discussed topic on this forum and all visualization and printing forums. A printer will always demand as high quality (highest dpi) as they can get. But There is no reason to print, for an extreme example, a 300dpi image (glossy fashion magazine pictures) at billboard size (8' high) - no one will view the billboard close enough to match how one would view the glossy magazine image. (eye distance to magazine approx. 30cm, eye distance to 8' billboard - between (10-14' or 3-4m) up to several hundred feet away)