Dark Splotchy Areas in Hobby Version Render

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
a.tennant1

Dark Splotchy Areas in Hobby Version Render

Post by a.tennant1 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:14 pm

Hi there everyone,

I'm having an issue with these strange dark blotchy areas appearing on my renders in the Twilight V2 Hobby version.

I'm quite new to using Twilight, and I couldn't find anything that was similar to the problem I'm having. Here is a picture of a prelim render which has the splotchy areas:

The splotches are also there when I render at a higher setting.
Attachments
garden project sketchup 2_Scene 8.jpg
garden project sketchup 2_Scene 8.jpg (3.49 MiB) Viewed 2219 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Dark Splotchy Areas in Hobby Version Render

Post by Fletch » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:21 pm

That is strange.
For this scene, I would render with Easy 08 exterior daytime render setting.

Can you show a screenshot of the Render Dialog, Environment Dialog?
What can you tell me about the light settings and render settings?

Did you follow all the video tutorials in my 6 video series linked in my signature below?

tuna57
SketchUp: SU 2015Pro SU2018Pro

Post by tuna57 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 am

Like Fletch said very strange….. I zoomed into your image as best I could on this iPad and it looks like some kind of broken up stray geometry. Guessing it’s somehow interfering with things when rendering. Can’t tell for certain without looking at the actual model. I suspect if you track it down and erase things may get better? Go to monochrome view and turn on hidden geometry….. see what you might find….
TwilightPro V2.11

a.tennant1

Post by a.tennant1 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:31 pm

Hi,

I've changed the render setting to the easy 08 and it seems to have solved the problem. No more dark splotches to be seen!

I don't think there's any geometry there that i've hidden, it doesn't look similar to anything I have in the model or had before. I deleted the imported autocad linework from the model so it can't be that, although my linework doesn't resemble the splotches anyway, as far as I can tell. I'll have another look though.

I've only watched a short 11m video about twilight by Scott Onstott on LinkedIn, I'm planning on watching your videos soon.

I didn't expect to get a response so quickly guys, so thanks for that. It makes me even more keen to keep learning about twilight.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Be sure to download the latest hobby version of Twilight Render only from our website.
It looks to me that there's something strange happening with the photon shooting/photon mapping or ray casting in your scene and render settings for some reason which is strange. If Easy 08 solves the issue, I highly recommend it for exteriors lit only by sun and sky. Problem solved. :hat: