some stair-like lines

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
rotom85

some stair-like lines

Post by rotom85 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:29 pm

Hello,

Thanks for your product.
I just bought Twilight Render Pro, with Fast Forward Denoising. However I still have problems related to antialiasing... See for yourself.
With or without Denoising it's the same thing. This is a real problem, the images are not sharp at all.
I used the Easy 11. Interior Preview renderer, over 100 times, for about 4 hours.
(When I use a 4. medium or 6. high render, the render takes more than 24 hours, and I don't finish the antialiasing phase because it's too long, so here it's normal to see shaped lines stairs! I understand, here.)

Can you enlighten me on this please?
- Pictures are made with 11. Interior Preview (x100 passes)

Thank you, Cordially
Thomas
Attachments
capture0.png
capture0.png (1.57 MiB) Viewed 12783 times
Capture1.JPG
Capture1.JPG (43.07 KiB) Viewed 12783 times
Capture2.png
Capture2.png (364.27 KiB) Viewed 12783 times

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: some stair-like lines

Post by Chris » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:02 pm

Welcome Tom!

Definitely this is an anti-aliasing issue. The first, biggest issue is the use of Interior-Preview. That preset is for creating previews, just as the name suggests. It's designed for fast render and low memory. As such, it does not have any anti-aliasing in it.

Try the Interior render method. That will have full "production" level anti-aliasing and will work best with the denoiser.

rotom85

Post by rotom85 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:00 am

Hello Chris,
Thank you for the answer ! It's good, I tried with interior rendering 9 and 10, it works great, no antialiasing problem.

I used interior preview 11, because the background is to scale. When I use interior render 9 or 10, the background does not scale. While I checked the image size on photoshop. It is normally the size of my rendering.
Is this normal?
picture : rendering 10. interior

Thank you anyway.
Thomas
Attachments
Acc 10.Intetieur .jpg
Acc 10.Intetieur .jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 12757 times

rotom85

Post by rotom85 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:21 pm

Oops, I used a background tiled image. It works much better with a background fit image ! :D

Another question, the mask rendering works very well in black and white, but is it possible to have a mask rendering with shades of gray corresponding to the glazing for example? In order to use it as a mask in photoshop.

Thanks
Thomas

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:25 pm

:gj: :hat: :clap: :rtfm:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:47 pm

Note: Twilight Render V2 Professional users, go here to automatically upgrade your account.

Next :>: :>: :>: Download: Light Components Combo Pack 165 light fixtures
rotom85 wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:29 pm Hello,

Thanks for your product.
I just bought Twilight Render Pro, with Fast Forward Denoising. However I still have problems related to antialiasing... See for yourself.
With or without Denoising it's the same thing. This is a real problem, the images are not sharp at all.
I used the Easy 11. Interior Preview renderer, over 100 times, for about 4 hours.
(When I use a 4. medium or 6. high render, the render takes more than 24 hours, and I don't finish the antialiasing phase because it's too long, so here it's normal to see shaped lines stairs! I understand, here.)

Can you enlighten me on this please?
- Pictures are made with 11. Interior Preview (x100 passes)

Thank you, Cordially
Thomas
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
  • Fastest workflow is to render small resolution test scenes with only essential geometry, then render larger scenes with full geometry (furniture and vegetation) as you progress.
  • :>: Please watch the 6 tutorial video series linked in my signature below.
  • I suggest rendering on Easy 09, with Fastforward Denoise you should have best results in lowest render times in nearly all cases of all scene types.
  • Easy 10 is for scenes where you are bouncing laser beams through crystals, not really necessary in most cases. But if you have a very high-powered render machine, feel free to use it, it gives best results in all lighting conditions. Easy 10 combines Easy 09 Metropolis Light Transport render method with Bidirectional Path Tracing (BiPT) render method. So it takes longer, but gives amazing results. (Not necessary for most architectural renderings.)
  • I use Easy09+Fastforward Denoise almost exclusively for all of my architectural renderings. Even for my test renderings. It's just great for me.
  • The scene prep phase and the AA phase of the Easy 1-7 render settings do not take advantage of multithreading, and therefore can be a bottleneck for render times. Also 1-7 settings are biased Photon Map and Final Gather render methods that ideally should be adjusted to match each scene.
    For Easy 1-7 you will need to learn to customize the settings per scene depending on the lighting and materials, etc. It's very complicated. We provide the easy settings only as a starting point. It is not possible to create a setting that works in all circumstances with these settings. This is the power of the unbiased settings 09 and 10 - thry have no learning curve, they 'just work'.
    Subject: Easy 1-7 Photon Mapping and Final Gather (Biased)
  • When using Easy 09 you are rendering with unbiased render setting - this mean it renders endlessly until you are happy. One light or a hundred, indoor or outdoor, it doesn't matter. We have set the render passes to 10000 simply to just make the rendering eventually stop. With Fastforward denoise cleaning up your image, you should just render until you are happy with the image. In most cases for all my renderings this is after only 4 passes, some darker scenes can be much higher like 15 passes. But a scene with some good direct lighting, it will render quite quickly.
  • Be sure to use the Post-process tab/button in the Render Dialog to Tone Map your image during or after your rendering is complete. Please watch the videos linked in my signature, and the Post Process video. I like ACES ("automagic") tone mapping, but if I prefer to edit the tone mapping further I really like Filmic tone mapping.
  • Easy 11 setting is the same as Easy 09. Only it has disable super sampling. This means that it may render quicker than Easy 09, but I haven't tested it much with Fastforward Denoise. If you like the results, then great!