Denoiser Add-on on old Macs

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
pietrop

Denoiser Add-on on old Macs

Post by pietrop » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:44 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and have used TWR v2 for a year since now.

Today I bought a Pro license and was thinking about purchasing also the denoiser add-on, so the question is: will it work onon my computers?

I have three different Macs that are a little aged. Two are iMac with the same specs, the third is a MacBook Pro:

iMac
iMac.jpg
iMac.jpg (106.19 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
MBP
MBP.jpg
MBP.jpg (81.28 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
Thanks

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Denoiser Add-on on old Macs

Post by Chris » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:54 pm

The denoiser will work, but it will only work in CPU mode. (You can read about that here: https://www.twilightrender.com/index.ph ... -denoising). The CPU mode will work on any computer on which Twilight Render is compatible. But the realtime GPU mode is only available on Windows machines with a compatible NVidia card.

pietrop

Post by pietrop » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:19 pm

Thanks Chris.
If I understood correctly, in CPU mode it is reccomended to capture the render status and move to the denoiser to see the results. I don't understand if the render will be automatically paused during the denoising process, otherwise I should manually pause the rendering and resume it after the denoising process ends.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:47 pm

in another thread:
Chris wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:47 pm BTW, if you are using the CPU mode for the Denoiser, right now we do not recommend that you turn it on for Animation and Batch Rendering. If you have the GPU mode, you shouldn't have any issues.

The problem is that the CPU mode can be time consuming; this is why changes were made to allow "capturing" a copy of the render and denoising the capture. It runs separate from the main render and doesn't delay the render (other than using CPU time). However, the Animation and Batch Renderers don't have that implemented currently and so they will attempt to denoise the image every time it refreshes and will cause considerable delays in the rendering. So, for now until we can get that improved, we don't recommend using the CPU mode denoiser with animations and batch.

pietrop

Post by pietrop » Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:14 pm

So the best way for me to get the best result spending less time as possible rendering is to pause/stop the render after a certain period of time. This period of time should be based on the number of iterations completed, which depends on my level of satisfaction.

Just a confirmation: after pausing the render and running the denoiser, should I be able to resume the render if the denoise result doesn't look good enough?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:12 pm

pietrop wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:14 pm So the best way for me to get the best result spending less time as possible rendering is to pause/stop the render after a certain period of time. This period of time should be based on the number of iterations completed, which depends on my level of satisfaction.

Just a confirmation: after pausing the render and running the denoiser, should I be able to resume the render if the denoise result doesn't look good enough?
You should not need to pause the rendering to capture and run denoise. It will only slow down the rendering in the background slightly, but not likely perceptibly.
It runs separate from the main render and doesn't delay the render (other than using CPU time)
if you pause, then of course you can restart it again :^:

pietrop

Post by pietrop » Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:30 am

Thanks Fletch, I tried the denoiser on some renders and the result is really impressive. I observed on the iMac that it's better to pause (or stop) the render while running the denoiser, otherwise it takes too much time. Doing so it runs in aboutabout 30 seconds on a 1280x720 resolution image.
Just for reference, here's a "with and without" denoiser result of a scene I'm working on, stopped after compliting the first raytracing iteration (about 4 minutes of rendering).
The preset used is 09 Interior.. I'm exploring the IES lightning and am struggling with the impossibility of adjusting the light intensity :roll:
Attachments
01_BAGNO P1 interna_faretti puntati sul ripiano_ies 30_HDd.jpg
01_BAGNO P1 interna_faretti puntati sul ripiano_ies 30_HDd.jpg (475.98 KiB) Viewed 6417 times
01_BAGNO P1 interna_faretti puntati sul ripiano_ies 30_HD.jpg
01_BAGNO P1 interna_faretti puntati sul ripiano_ies 30_HD.jpg (898.12 KiB) Viewed 6417 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:28 pm

Please update your forum access and THEN download these 165 light components.
Note: Twilight Render V2 Professional users, go here to automatically upgrade your account.

If your username is in blue on this forum, you already have access to the Red Carpet forum section.

increase IES power using "power multiplier", but IES files should be tested at power of 1 first.
Then, adjust brightness of the scene using Tone Map under Post Process tab, please follow these tutorials for Tone Mapping your final image.

See these tutorials:
Twilight Render Post Process
Subject: ACES vs Filmic : When do I use Filmic versus ACES when Tonemapping?

Please follow the 6 essentials video series as well! :^: