Texture Images too small on rendered picture

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
LumisLignum

Texture Images too small on rendered picture

Post by LumisLignum » Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:26 pm

Hi,

I try to render flat wooden surfaces. Problem is, that Twilight only uses a small part of the referenced "Texture Image" for "painting" the surface and I have to scale the image so much, that the wooden lines are not visible and heay pixelated for me. Also I do not understand the Offset X/Y functions, as they change 0 for me.

What are the units these offsets are working with? %,in,mm,px,....

No Matter how big or small I make the original picture, Twillight always paints the same pattern.

I tried to find any documentation or info but can't find any. Even the manual or the deep material guide has no info on it.

Please help.

Original:
https://www.screenpresso.com/=uEmOf

Finished render
https://www.screenpresso.com/=UOA7d

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Texture Images too small on rendered picture

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:26 am

Twilight uses the UV mapping from SketchUp.
If you are inserting a texture into sketchup onto a surface, then that's how it will appear in Twilight Render.
The only exception would be if you painted the back instead of the front face, then the mapping may be different from what you would expect.

Here I inserted the image into sketchup and enabled "use image as texture" when I inserted it.
By default It was 52.7cm wide and 145cm long.
I resized the texture in SketchUp's material editor to 30cm wide and 82.5cm long.

I put it on the ceiling and the floor. Here's how it appears after I used SketchUp's Texture tool by right-clicking the face and choosing "texture>position"
Attachments
t.jpg
t.jpg (540.59 KiB) Viewed 2232 times
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (146.6 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:30 am

So, if you are painting a square texture onto your surface, like the texture in SketchUp's material dialog is 30x30, then in Twilight's Material dialog you choose to replace the texture on display in SketchUp with this custom wood texture, then it will resize the texture to fit within the 30x30 dimension. This is what you are seeing in your example. It's better to insert the image so that you can UV map the texture onto the surface properly.

LumisLignum

Post by LumisLignum » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:53 am

Thank you. I may have to clarify, I am not using the materials from sketchup but the deep Material editor to replace a Sketchup texture (steel satin) with a texture image.

What I am refering to are the modifiers in the deep editor.

https://www.screenpresso.com/=rhHOb

What I will tray is if I use the UV selection if the size of the steel satin texture is having an influence on the size of the deep editor image.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:17 am

to replace a Sketchup texture (steel satin) with a texture image.
Whatever size and mapping you have for the texture in SketchUp is what is supplying the information to Twilight to map the new/replacement texture.
So set the size of the texture you can see inside of SketchUp to match the size and aspect ratio of the texture you will replace it with via Twilight material editor.

In this case, if you think that piece of wood is supposed to be 30cm wide and 82.5cm long, then set the material to those dimensions in SketchUp.

Additionally, that's not a seamless wood texture and it's tiling badly. I have edited it to be more seamless, and am attaching it here for your use, along with the bump and normal maps. But I'm attaching the original file for comparison.

Be careful to make it seamless I doubled the resolution/size of the image.
You can make the grooves between the wood planks using the Wood Flooring Template in Twilight's Material Editor.
Subject: Flooring Material Template for Wood or Tile floor/wall
Subject: Announcing Twilight Render V2.5 (Massive Update for Material Templates)
Attachments
ORIGINAL-WOOD-PLANK-NOT-SEAMLESS.png
ORIGINAL-WOOD-PLANK-NOT-SEAMLESS.png (754.9 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
wood-plank.jpg
wood-plank.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 2205 times
wood-plank_BUMP.jpg
wood-plank_BUMP.jpg (381.11 KiB) Viewed 2205 times
wood-plank_NORMAL.jpg
wood-plank_NORMAL.jpg (2.06 MiB) Viewed 2205 times