Low illumination issues

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Low illumination issues

Post by Fletch » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:30 am

edivers wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:09 pm not to mention figure out how to take the same rug and change its color palette six times . . .
You would simply create the rug 6 times with your 6 color pallettes.

1. The image is inserted onto the floor, so it's sort of "stuck" to the floor by the way SketchUp functions.
  2. use the move tool and hit CTRL once to enable the "copy" feature of the sketchup move tool and move the carpet up 1cm or half an inch above the floor.
  3. Delete the original image that is on the floor and keep the one that is now slightly hovering above the floor.
  4. Explode the image so that it's now acting like a normal face geometry with a texture applied in sketchup.
  5. Now you can export that image to photoshop and adjust whatever you wish. And import the new color scheme however you like.

edivers

Post by edivers » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pm

Hi again, Fletch,

Thanks for the rug suggestion --will explore it.

Back to the lighting, issues that still need adjusting (again, I would prefer to pay someone than ask for free help, but if you're offering . . . :-). The link to the file is https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lbzu5htfewnz ... w.skp?dl=0

-The lamp base still looks white rather than wood tone.
-The curtain panels are too transluscent even with "thick curtains". I made the window narrower to reduce the effect, but would prefer no light shine through them.
- Wondering where the lighting artifacts on the back wall are coming from (see image)
- I will likely remove the spotlight illuminating the painting because I don't want subjects fixating on anything in particular in the scene. Will likely go back to a soft spotlight from a distance or something. I would like some plug-n-play fixtures, so I signed up for Pro, but I can't see how to access the collection that I saw somewhere in this forum. Where to get lights without the problems of the previous fixtures?

Also wondering when I finish this interior and go on to the next versions, will the material properties from Twilight remain intact when I change Sketchup materials on floor, furnishings, etc.? I suspect the answer is that if I change the color of the Sketchup material without changing the material, they will remain the same. If I change material, e.g., a lighter floor, I will need to do them again. Correct?

Thanks,
Ellen
TEST3_TWL support_Dark Neutral - smaller window.jpg
TEST3_TWL support_Dark Neutral - smaller window.jpg (236.18 KiB) Viewed 2588 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:12 pm

edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pmI would like some plug-n-play fixtures, so I signed up for Pro, but I can't see how to access the collection that I saw somewhere in this forum. Where to get lights without the problems of the previous fixtures?
The down light (can light) fixtures weren't the problem it was how they were inserted that was the problem. ;)

Note: Twilight Render V2 Professional users, go here to automatically upgrade your account.

:idea: :!: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Pro users can simply download from the Twilight V2 menu:
dlresources1.jpg
dlresources1.jpg (64.61 KiB) Viewed 2577 times
They will be auto-installed for you.

Or to install manually:
Pro users have access to 165 free very high quality light fixtures ready to go in Twilight Render.
Download: Light Components package Image

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:33 pm

edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pm
-The lamp base still looks white rather than wood tone.
Paint the front faces only, if the texture it too light, it should be darkened by using the HSB color picker in SketchUp's Material dialog. Drag the "B" (for Brightness) slider down by 10 or 20 percent.
edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pm-The curtain panels are too transluscent even with "thick curtains". I made the window narrower to reduce the effect, but would prefer no light shine through them.
Are we talking about all of the panels or only the dark side panels?
You can lower the power of the light or just use a Template>Textile instead of the translucent material template for the curtains.
If you are talking about the sheer curtains in the middle panel, then just disable all light coming from the window.
edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pm- Wondering where the lighting artifacts on the back wall are coming from (see image)
It is unclear. (I am not sure) I will take a look.
edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pm- I will likely remove the spotlight illuminating the painting because I don't want subjects fixating on anything in particular in the scene. Will likely go back to a soft spotlight from a distance or something.
avoid fill lights, instead increase the exposure and work with the Filmic tone mapping. For my most recent kitchen rendering see these post pro settings for example:
exposure-filmic-1.jpg
exposure-filmic-1.jpg (226.31 KiB) Viewed 2576 times

edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pmAlso wondering when I finish this interior and go on to the next versions, will the material properties from Twilight remain intact when I change Sketchup materials on floor, furnishings, etc.? I suspect the answer is that if I change the color of the Sketchup material without changing the material, they will remain the same. If I change material, e.g., a lighter floor, I will need to do them again. Correct?
Correct, if you have applied a Twilight Material Template, you can change the texture and color in SketchUp, and the Template will remain applied, and update with the new color or texture.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:03 pm

edivers wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:47 pm -The lamp base still looks white rather than wood tone.
After closer inspection, the faces were reversed on the bottom of the lamp, meaning that the material which was applied to the front faces, but yet unseen in the SU view, would be the material rendered by Twilight. So you would need to reverse those faces (select all faces to be reversed, right-click > reverse faces) and repaint the material/texture as desired on the base of the lamp. (there are plugins for SU available that can do this for you with a click, but that's not required as you appear to be new to SketchUp and rendering.)

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:35 pm

No filler lights, but you can download the scene for yourself - see PM sent.

The curtain model is bad and should be re-created from scratch to eliminate the problems... or given a thickness. Even after using the "Weld" feature for the material the problem did not go away. (Weld is found in the Twilight materials dialog under "advanced" and is used to weld vertices that share 3D space, it should theoretically "close" any gaps in the mesh, but the mesh is bad (poorly modeled))

The lights on the blue wall near the painting were from:
  • caustics from the glass bounced from the downlights
  • reflections in the paint from the downlights
fixed:
  • disabled caustics for the lights from within the lighting dialog for the can light (I also made them IES lights)
  • set paint on wall to Template>Flat to not reflect the lights any more
edivers-techsupport04.jpg
edivers-techsupport04.jpg (709.1 KiB) Viewed 2564 times
Made a lot of small tweaks to the scene mostly with materials, some modeling. You will have to download the scene for all the changes.
Attachments
screenshot-1.jpg
screenshot-1.jpg (518.22 KiB) Viewed 2566 times
screenshot-2.jpg
screenshot-2.jpg (537.33 KiB) Viewed 2565 times

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:40 am

Hello edivers, I made further updates, please see this topic in the Twilight V2 Pro support forum. :hat:

I will add any further comments or questions to the new thread which I created for you in the Pro forum.
Attachments
edivers-techsupport05.jpg
edivers-techsupport05.jpg (696.41 KiB) Viewed 2554 times