You know you are losing something when.....

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

You know you are losing something when.....

Post by Mike1158 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:42 pm

Well I must admit that I was a bit nervous about cracking the old pc to fit additional RAM, clean up the case fans etc. I hate the thought something woul;d go POP.
So I moped about thinking about the process over and over before finally getting it done. I had the new pc arrive on Wednesday and thought better deal with maintenance before setting it up.
The second case fan was blocking the RAM slots but I eventually got everything done, backmin the case and connected.

Started the machine and only one monitor working. No worries thinkls I, got to be something simple after all. I checked every cable over and over but all I got from the second monitor was a standard test signal.
I scratched my head until it went bonk and crashed, had a cup of coffee and went back to work. You know, it is really strange but I realised both ends of the bleeping second monitor cable were different colours. I had left the old monitor cable hooked up at the back of the table and forgot about it until I plugged it into the old pc..

Long story short, all well and good checking monitor cables are connected but, make sure there is only ONE cable attached at both ends. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hat:

The new pc? No idea, I cannot get the case open to remove the shipping foam. The new monitor either so I will have to wait until next week so someone can tell me how to get this thing started,

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: You know you are losing something when.....

Post by Fletch » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:57 am

Mike1158 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:42 pm Long story short... make sure there is only ONE cable attached at both ends. :rofl:
LOL happens to the best of us. :hat:
Mike1158 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:42 pm The new pc? No idea, I cannot get the case open to remove the shipping foam. The new monitor either so I will have to wait until next week so someone can tell me how to get this thing started,
:wall:

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Re: You know you are losing something when.....

Post by Mike1158 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:58 am

I can say with satisfaction that it is a nuisance but not a problem and cleaning the fan blades on the old pc means that it suns quiteter than before. Memory doubled so still a useful piece of kit.

The new monitor, in a time when cables are considered an extra, came with three types of cable to attach to a pc, a BIG thumbs up from me for that. I shall write a review when I have tried it out. Possibly worth adding a sticky section somewhere so folk can review hardware for other members?