Fast Forward Denoiser Help

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Fast Forward Denoiser Help

Post by ntxdave » Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:20 pm

OK - I am feeling kind of dumb. I have installed the Fast Forward Denoiser plugin. Here is the settings I have (I have a rather old laptop and Nvidia card so that determines my settings).
Twilight Render Option Settings.png
Twilight Render Option Settings.png (19.96 KiB) Viewed 1792 times
I have not done any rendering for quite a while. I looked at the documentation about the denoiser but I am not sure what I should see and or do. Can someone give me some advice about the steps I should be taking in the rendering process to take advantage of the denoiser plugin?

ntxdave

Re: Fast Forward Denoiser Help

Post by ntxdave » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:35 pm

I did some rereading and more fooling around and think I have figured out most things but I am not sure what I should be seeing given the version I have.
  • Should I be seeing enhanced performance?
  • Still not sure what I should be doing/seeing/looking for in the post processing process.
Again, any feedback would be/is appreciated. :D

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:07 pm

Keep in mind the denoiser is optimized for unbiased render settings like Easy 08, 09, 10 render settings.

If you are using Intel OIDN version (I suggest limiting the denoiser to 1Gb) then you have to "capture" and then denoise the image.
If you use the GPU version that's not necessary. If you have enabled denoise in the Render Dialog by going to the pull-down menu and choosing "settings>denoise rendering" simply enable, and as you render then you should see the image being denoised live while it renders.
Please read our tutorial on our website for using Fastforward Denoise

https://www.twilightrender.com/index.ph ... g-announce

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:38 pm

Thanks for the reply......... :whoot:
Fletch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:07 pm Keep in mind the denoiser is optimized for unbiased render settings like Easy 08, 09, 10 render settings.

If you are using Intel OIDN version (I suggest limiting the denoiser to 1Gb) then you have to "capture" and then denoise the image.
If you use the GPU version that's not necessary. If you have enabled denoise in the Render Dialog by going to the pull-down menu and choosing "settings>denoise rendering" simply enable, and as you render then you should see the image being denoised live while it renders.
Because my graphics card is old, I cannot updated the driver to the latest version so Chris had told me to use the OIDN version so I cannot use the GFU version. How do I limit the denoiser to 1 Gb?
Fletch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:07 pm Please read our tutorial on our website for using Fastforward Denoise
Little correction on the link: Here is the link to the Denoiser Tutorial
I had looked at the tutorial before but for some reason, it just did not register correctly with me.

Here is an image I created using the denoiser..
Denoiser Test 03 Low+
Denoiser Test 03 Low+
Denoise Test 03 Low+.png (1.22 MiB) Viewed 1750 times
One last question: Since I have to use this in the post process, how would I do denoising with an animation?

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:02 pm

Let me say it again - denoiser works best with Easy 09 (or Easy 08 or Easy 10)
Yes, it will denoise the Low 1-7 render settings but not the best.

If it's working, no need to change the memory, but it's here:

Go to Extension -> Twilight Render V2 -> Options. Click on the Options tab and look for the drop down for Denoiser Memory Limit. Probably setting it to 1GB will work for your case but if you continue to have problems, try lowering it to 512MB.

Subject: Denoiser & Animation
JGA wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:55 pm You may have a problem using a denoiser with an animation, as each denoising each frame can add a little variation in detail between one image & the next.
This seems to be an issue with all but the very latest denoising packages. It's not related to any particular rendering package, but the third party denoising component (intel & nvidia).
Google "using a denoiser for animation" & you see the problem flagged up on many rendering platforms.
Good luck!

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:54 pm

OK - I rendered again with Easy 09 so here is the result.
Denoise Test - Easy 09 wDenoise.png
Denoise Test - Easy 09 wDenoise.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 1724 times
Now another silly question. I have the settings set to 8 threads and when I am rendering i see Reay Tracing 8/150 and it continues to render. How do I control that? This render took 11:49 and I then used the Post Processing and Aces.

One of these days, I will understand what I am/shoud be doing. :rofl: :wall:

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:17 pm

In the Render Dialog explore the Settings pulldown menu you can choose "Advanced Render Settings" and limit number of iterations (passes). You can also set Save Method to one of many options. With 12 threads and AI denoise I set this to 10 iterations and save method to 10 mins. In addition to saving every 10 minutes it also saves the final image automatically when the render is complete.

For number of passes, when it says 1/10000, that means each thread will do 1 pass of 10000. So, actually when pass 1 is complete if you have 8 threads in reality it has completed 8 passes. So, after 5 passes, you have 8x5= 40 passes complete. With a single thread it's usually client ready at somewhere around 320-360 passes. But if you divide by 8 that would be 45 passes needed. In my experience I'm happy at 60 passes with 8 threads and no denoise. However, with Fastforward AI denoise in my experience only 5 passes seems to be good in many cases. I set it to limit to 10 just to be safe.