"Greeble" or randomize the rotation of thousands of subcomponents?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Lemures

"Greeble" or randomize the rotation of thousands of subcomponents?

Post by Lemures » Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:44 pm

My ultimate goal is to create some photorealistic renderings of solar arrays that could look similar to the three images at the end of this post.

In the three images below, you'll observe that each installed solar panel is rotated slightly off from its neighbors, often by only a few degrees. This usually isn't noticeable up close, but it is observable when seeing thousands of panels with reflections, and is important for making a rendering look more realistic. When developing a solar array in SketchUp, I have about two dozen solar panels (each an instance of a component) attached to a rack of panels, and the rack plus the panels is itself a component. Then I put down a few hundred components. I want to then slightly randomize the orientation of the solar panel components in two different dimensions, in the way that the "greeble" function displaces faces. Is there a way to do this? Maybe a SketchUp extension, instead of something in Twilight Render? Or, is there a way to slightly alter each panel's material prior to the render, to apply a very slightly modified normal map that would give the same effect?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: "Greeble" or randomize the rotation of thousands of subcomponents?

Post by Fletch » Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:35 pm

try the free "Random Tools" plugin by Alex Shreyer for SketchUp
https://alexschreyer.net/projects/rando ... -sketchup/

In your reflective glass material try experimenting using a "Perlin Noise" procedural material in the bump channel.