Twilight Render V2 Pro - Crashing on certain actions

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Lemures

Twilight Render V2 Pro - Crashing on certain actions

Post by Lemures » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:28 pm

I have purchased and activated the licenses for Twilight Render V2 Pro and the Terrain Add-On. I am running Sketchup 2023 Pro V23.1.315 64-bit on a Dell Latitude 5420 laptop. In Options, Twilight Render Pro is Activated, so is the Terrain Editor.

SketchUp crashes when I select Extensions -> Twilight Render V2 ->, and any of the following:
* Check for latest version
* Terrain
* Download Twilight Render Resources

Specifically, SketchUp crashes and the BugSplat error handler comes up. I am able to open the Material Editor and render scenes (or at least a quick test scene on low settings rendered successfully).

I have tried running as administrator and I am still get the issues. I'm running the program on a relatively high security network, so there may be network access or permissions/privilege concerns, but I'm not sure what to look for.

Please advise as to what I can do to help troubleshoot and ultimately resolve this issue. Thank you.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Twilight Render V2 Pro - Crashing on certain actions

Post by Chris » Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:30 pm

Thank you for the report. All of those features that you mentioned do utilize internet access. It seems probable that the issue has to do with being able to access the internet. Obviously we don't want Sketchup to crash just because it can't access a certain resource, so that is something we need to look into.

If possible, try testing your install with more "open" network permissions. If it works then it is likely that is the issue. As far as how to make those features work under a restricted network, I don't know. Obviously two of those features, Check for Latest and Download Resources, have no purpose if they can't access the internet. Terrain tools should work without internet access and that is something we will have to look into on our end.

Lemures

Re: Twilight Render V2 Pro - Crashing on certain actions

Post by Lemures » Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:33 pm

Hello Chris, thank you for getting back to me.

With regards to internet access, think of it like me running the program on a "government" laptop. I don't really have the option of testing with more "open" network permissions. I have internet access, but some websites (in a browser) require an additional step of the user clicking a button to confirm that they intend to navigate there. Perhaps something like this is occurring on the back end? Would you be able to provide me with any information about what IPs, URLs, or domain names are being used by the "Check for latest version" and "Download Twilight Render Resources" buttons? I can then check with IT security to see about getting these unblocked for me specifically, if they are indeed blocked. I am also open to brining this discussion to a private conversation via email, if you are uncomfortable releasing that information here. Please advise.

With regards to the Terrain add-on, please advise as to the next steps I can take to help you from my end.

Thank you.