Could Twilight be a Real-time Rendering in the future?

Questions, bugs, help for Twilight Render V2 Hobby and Professional
romi63
SketchUp: 2023

Could Twilight be a Real-time Rendering in the future?

Post by romi63 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:50 pm

Hello, I'm a very happy PRO user of Twilight Render but I could not help myself noticing some new software/plug in offering real-time ray-tracing technology features, relaying on GPU that support DXR.

I'm not a software programmer so I have no idea if it's possible to achieve the desired outcome without building a new version of Twilight from scratch, (most likely yes). However, it would be fascinating to learn if there are any future plans heading in that direction.
Thank you for your efforts, and keep up the excellent work. :clap:
RF

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Could Twilight be a Real-time Rendering in the future?

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:01 pm

Thank you for the kind words and suggestion. We can not talk about the features of the next version, but it is in development.
We can say we are concentrating on making it multi-platform.

Subject: Load Error
Fletch wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:09 pm There is not much we can do with the change for Mac's processor architecture.
We are in development of a new version of Twilight that will be compatible. We can not give timelines for development. But I can assure you it is in development. ;)

romi63
SketchUp: 2023

Post by romi63 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:29 pm

Thank you for the update.

Since you are in the process of developing the next version, I have a small suggestion, if I may.

My initial experience with 3D modeling software dates back to 1996 when I first used trueSpace. That software had its own decent internal rendering engine. Along the way, they added a feature that I found particularly helpful, and I've often wished for something similar in Twilight.

Similar use as for your exploration render window but faster and more targeted , trueSpace allowed users to drag an arbitrary window anywhere within the model, providing a fast and reasonably high-quality preview of the rendered image in the selected area. This feature was exceptionally useful, especially for double-checking potential mistakes related to correct illumination as you could potentially control darker (or lighters) areas and how shadows would be cast in a chosen spot

Just wondering if it is something relatively easy to implement in Twilight Render.

Thank you

PS not sure what was that answer related to Mac's processor architecture as personally I'm a PC user.

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:55 pm

I also wonder if I will need to update my computer. Mine is 9+ years old. I also had some problems with the Fast Denoiser plugin because of my graphics card and not being able to update the drivers.

However, I am looking forward to the update. :D