Recommended Render Engines for SketchUp

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Recommended Render Engines for SketchUp

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:35 pm

Per user request I've created this thread.

Here you may post your recommendations for render engines... with some caveats...
It's easy to just start listing possible render engines, anyone with a search engine and the web can do so.
  1. You must have personal experience using the engine you are recommending and
  2. post an example of work you have created with that engine.
any post just listing a bunch of engines "you should try" will be deleted. :roll:

majid
SketchUp: make 2017

Re: Recommended Render Engines for SketchUp

Post by majid » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:53 pm

Mine is those render engines that work within SU, such as TR. Except for scenes that need highly populated with assets.

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Post by Mike1158 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:19 pm

Apart from Kerkythea I cannot help and my Kerkythea renders were a long time ago. Might have to download it again and try iot out.

I really do not know what to suggest but this here Twilight render thing does me and I have not gone anywhere near it's abilities.

Going from render engine to render engine strikes mne as a huge mistake, learn one engine and get to know it properly.

The folks who made and maintain Twilight do a great job and imho, cannot be faulted. I would like to do something to return the favour but, what?

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Post by JGA » Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:47 am

All new render engines appear to be tied more to newish graphics cards, so be aware of the hardware recommendations & don't have the minimum specification if you intend to work with a lot of polys.
For render engines, Thea Render https://www.thearender.com is a distant cousin of Kerkythea & Twilight.
It's real-time rendering is very handy and has good proxy support along with compatibility with Skatter.
I use version 2.2, as it's the last one that could be bought rather than subscribed/rented.
Development is still continuing, but slowed since being bought over by Altair. Support is good, if a bit slow compared with Twilight.
Epic Twinmotion https://www.twinmotion.com is perhaps better suited to architectural renders, with a massive library of plants and props. The Sketchup model has to be exported out to a format that Twinmotion can import. The quality of renders is dependant upon having beefy Nvidia graphics hardware, although the basic render engine can still provide decent output in the right hands. Getting expensive for commercial purposes, although still good value compared with the likes of Lumion.
JGA

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Post by ntxdave » Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:31 pm

I have added this thread to the SketchUcation forum in hopes someone over there (who is not a TR user)might have a good/useful suggestion. :D

chrstph
SketchUp: 2023

Post by chrstph » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:12 am

As a long time user of Twilight and previously, Kerkythea, I'm looking for a new render software...
Anyone here using Thea Render?

I'm also looking to update to a Mac but would like to find out which render plugin works natively on Apple Silicon.

Mike1158
SketchUp: V19

Post by Mike1158 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:58 am

Just a thought but, it might be worth considering how much benefit a subscription might be, and discarding those engines that use such a model from the list of render programs for consideration.