Render size coordination...

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
tomsdesk

Render size coordination...

Post by tomsdesk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm setting up an old machine to render only using a monitor of different proportions: what's the easiest way to tell it to match the render size I set up on the machine (and monitor) I'm using to model? Is there some trick in Twilight or SU I haven't discovered to exactly match the scene views?

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Re: Render size coordination...

Post by Gaieus » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi Tom,

I guess you are trying to set up something to be able to export different layers to PP work.

Even on my "regular" machine I have got rid of any kind of toolbars docked in my SU window so that I can precisely control its size. For this, I use a little freebie called Sizer (also se screenshot of my desktop). There you can set any kind of resolution for a window. Of course, when setting it up, you need to substract the window chrome thickness all around (and scene tabs can also make a difference - thus my template set up with a scene).

My basic output size now is set to 1024x768 - a typical 4:3 window but then if I multiply it, it will, of course, be proportional. And there you go - you can export the same (or multiple) sizes of say hidden line mode native SU and Twilight.

(Sorry for the extremely large size image)
Attachments
MyDesktop.png
MyDesktop.png (124.53 KiB) Viewed 7874 times
Gai...

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:01 pm

Or you could just make sure your viewport is wider than your rendered image in both computers. SketchUp mantains the vertical angle no matter how you scale the viewport, so this should work.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:57 pm

If you have uncheck "Fit to view proportions", your render will be exactly the same, regardless of your SU screen size:
Full size SU render
Full size SU render
full.png (44.74 KiB) Viewed 7857 times
tiny SU viewport
tiny SU viewport
tiny.png (44.66 KiB) Viewed 7857 times
Screen Shot
Screen Shot
screen.jpg (139.5 KiB) Viewed 7856 times
The renders are identical (I diffed them). So regardless of your monitor dimensions, that should work.
However, if you want to use the SU view (for post-pro), you'll need to do as Ecuadorian suggests above.

tomsdesk

Post by tomsdesk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks guys, several ways to go...so Chris, if my modeling monitor is a bit bigger and not the same proportions but I uncheck the "fit" box and leave the render size at the "fit" dims then save: when I open the file on the other machine, the render size will remain the same size, proportions, and location? Sounds right since SU holds the vert with the scene and Twilight holds the horiz based on the scene vertical...? So, even though the actual number of pixels is different the composition proportions (what's in, what's out...which is what I'm really concerned about) remains exactly the same...?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:16 pm

Yes, as long as the "Fit" checkbox is unchecked and you don't change the FOV or position of the camera, what you get out of the render should be exactly the same, regardless of the monitor / SU window size.

tomsdesk

Post by tomsdesk » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Cool! and Yeh! it is easier than I thought! Again, thanks a bunch!!!