Average Rendering Time on a 2017 MacBook Air Dual Core i5?

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
shaunvr.sa
SketchUp: 2020

Average Rendering Time on a 2017 MacBook Air Dual Core i5?

Post by shaunvr.sa » Sat Aug 08, 2020 5:14 am

Hey Everyone,

Hoping this doesn't infuriate anyone, but I'm fairly new here and did a fair share of topic browsing before posting the question...
My question is basically the subject header: what is the average rendering time (on the Easy 09 Interior preset) for a 2017 MacBook Dual Core i5? I've been working on an interior project and have had this particular scene (first went through the infamous "Preflight Checklist" to ensure I've minimised as much as possible in terms of background "noise" etc.), and I am currently sitting at a running time of 33.33 hours, and Ray Tracing of 738/10000...

I'm not too sure but in my mind that is quite a hefty time frame for one scene's worth of rendering. :cry:
I haven't even been using the Mac for any other reason during all of this time but to be rendering, & haven't had it switched off since it started (which I'm worried might cause my battery life to deteriorate quickly at this rate). And I still have 5 other scenes that need to be rendered for this project! :doh:

Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Or am I using the incorrect preset (rookie mistake) and if so, what would the recommendation be for the correct preset for similar scenes?

I'd appreciate ANY guidance. :wall:

Thanks in advance!
Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 07.08.53.png
Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 07.08.53.png (1.52 MiB) Viewed 8980 times
Kind regards,
Shaun
:dftt:

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Average Rendering Time on a 2017 MacBook Air Dual Core i5?

Post by Chris » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:14 pm

The Interior render methods are done when you are satisfied with them. The 10,000 iteration limit is just a really big number to make sure it is always "enough". Chances are, your image was done a long time ago. :D

shaunvr.sa
SketchUp: 2020

Post by shaunvr.sa » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:52 am

:rofl:
Oh my word! I clearly missed the memo on what that meant & was willing to let it run for another week until it went through all 10 000 threads! :totgm:

Thanks so much for clearing it up. Really appreciate it. I’m happy with the current results and can finally move forward with the next render... :lol:
Kind regards,
Shaun
:dftt:

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 pm

good looking image!
Chris was, of course, spot on.

Here is a more in-depth explanation in case you are interested.
Subject: 09. Interior progressive
Fletch wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 9:28 am :welcome:

The 10000 number is only there because progressive rendering methods will continue rendering "forever" if they are not stopped manually. So, Twilight has a limit of 10000 so that it doesn't just continue rendering forever.

As Discussed in the FAQ, Subject: Progressive Rendering (Unbiased Method) depending on your machine the image could be "client ready" after only 60 passes. You decide when the image is "good enough" or "done".

In my experience, on 8 threads an image will be good enough for me after 60 passes -100 passes (max). If a machine has more threads it will be ready sooner, if it only has 4 threads, 120 passes-160 passes looks good. 2 threads may need 250-300 passes.

These numbers can be cut drastically if a Pro user has the AI Denoise Plugin. The AI denoise plugin can perform very well removing noise quickly cutting time to a clean image in half the time or even making Twilight 300% faster. Results vary depending on machine used and on scene/lighting... see test images on our website.
I can not find any template for snow, different roads, grass.
Pro users have access to the Red Carpet section with hundreds of pre-made lighting components, materials, tutorials, etc.

See this about asphalt:
Subject: V2 Tutorials Animated Snippets
See this article regarding grass. But also you can use any component spray or scattering plugin to scatter your grass component on a surface and render. Twilight supports proxy components for this case - so insert your grass component, convert to proxy, scatter/spray proxy components, hit render - it will render the full original grass component.