Shadow corresondance between SU and TWILIGHT

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
archigrafix

Shadow corresondance between SU and TWILIGHT

Post by archigrafix » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:09 pm

I am sure I've already seen a topic about this but cant find it in the Forum... so I ask about it..!?
In fact I've to do a sun study for a client and I see that shadow direction is totally different from SU to twilight...hugh!
tried many things to solve but nothing. North direction is personnalised in SU perhaps it's the problem but I cant do else (of course I could rotate the model but it's counter productive way of working...all views are lost etc...)
thanx to help I am in a rush to render and thought it would be easy :cry:

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Shadow corresondance between SU and TWILIGHT

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:40 pm

There can be a difference between SU and Twilight when it comes to shadows, yes, that is true. But a huge difference? /: That shouldn't be. Can you post pictures?

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Post by flipya » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Apart from your specific problem, rotating the model to change the sun's relative trajectory is not necessary. Just go to Window->Model Info and click Location, you can change the northangle here without messing up your views.
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:33 am

flipya wrote:Apart from your specific problem, rotating the model to change the sun's relative trajectory is not necessary. Just go to Window->Model Info and click Location, you can change the northangle here without messing up your views.
archigrafix wrote:North direction is personnalised in SU perhaps it's the problem

Could that actually be?
Gai...

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:40 pm

Twilight accounts for the possibility of the north angle being different than 0. If you change it, the Twilight shadows will adjust for the angle.

Like I said earlier, there is a difference in shadows because SU shadows are just a linear projection, where Twilight shadows are generated from a point light. But those differences should not be large.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 am

Chris wrote:Twilight accounts for the possibility of the north angle being different than 0. If you change it, the Twilight shadows will adjust for the angle...
True, I have tried ever since just forgot to come back to the topic.
:D
Gai...