Problem with rendering, need help please

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
MEM

Problem with rendering, need help please

Post by MEM » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:33 pm

Hi, I'm new at TR, but I have been going through a few tutorials, like "Rendering in SketchUp - Using Materials to Create a Photorealistic Rendering with Twilight Render" for example, which is very easy to replicate, but the problem is I get thick rings of un-rendered materials on my objects, on what is supposed to be glossy paint, brushed metal, and glossy tile - all of which I've rendered exactly like it is described in the Sketchup Essentials tutorial.

I wondered if the problem was maybe due to the fact that I'm working with Sketchup Make 2017, so I tried it on Sketchup Pro 2019 and the exact same problem arrises again. So can anyone tell me what the problem might be please ? BTW, I specifically bought the paying version of Twilight Render to make sure I get the best of this software, so it would be nice if it did work.

I'll try to put screenshots here (hope it works):
Sketchup Make 2017:
Sketchup Pro 2019:

A hundred times thank you to the kind soul that'll help this still enthusiastic newbie here !
Attachments
SKP_2019 Petite.jpeg
SKP_2019 Petite.jpeg (21.56 KiB) Viewed 12448 times
SKP_2017 Petite.jpeg
SKP_2017 Petite.jpeg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 12448 times

MEM

Re: Problem with rendering, need help please

Post by MEM » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 pm

And it makes no difference wether I'm setting rendering on prelim, low+, or medium+, I still get the thick stripes.

MEM

Post by MEM » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:42 pm

I work on a 2017 iMac, running on Montery 12.6.3 OS, if that makes any difference.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:43 pm

MEM wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:33 pm I get thick rings of un-rendered materials on my objects,
:welcome: MEM

Please forgive me in advance if this sounds like something obvious...

Reflections on objects have to come from what surrounds the object.
If you have nothing, (or only sky) surrounding the reflective surface of an object, that is what you will see in the reflections.

It appears in your images that this is what is happening.

Please use a 3D screen photo studio or an HDRI to light your scene. You will get much better results.

Here are free scenes and HDRI for your use:
Inside of Environment Editor in Twilight Render choose the "Preset" of one of the HDRi images such as "HDR 2 tall rectangles" or the "HDR studio warm/cool".

Subject: Free Studio HDRi Spherical Sky image

MEM

Post by MEM » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:05 am

Hi Fletch,

No explanation is "to" obvious, not for me, I'm learning, so first, thank you so much for replying. Unfortunately, I had already thought about that (since Justin does actually mention this issu in his tutorial). So I tried it within a box, with a spot and point light, and I had put textures on the walls, ceiling and floor. Still, the exact same problem arises. I even get these weird stipes on the wood plate where they shouldn't exist. I fear this might have something to do with some sort of bug between TR and my OS (Monter 12.6.3) or maybe even my iMac 2017 (21.5 inches). I wish a Sketchup, TR, and computer wizard could magically help me solve this mystery. I wish it had been something as simple as what you described, but it isn't.

Attachments
SKP 2017 box Grande.jpeg
SKP 2017 box Grande.jpeg (277.62 KiB) Viewed 12414 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:08 am

I think what you are referring to is the fact that you are using the Low + render setting, and for those materials perhaps that's too low of a render setting for the Fresnel setting in those materials. We changed the easy settings to optimize their speed further (since the time he created that tutorial) so perhaps you have discovered something we need to look into. Those settings are optimized for typical architectural renderings under certain lighting conditions. Switch to a different render setting such as under Tech>Photon Map> 03 or 04 and see what happens... likely the problem goes away. It has nothing to do with Mac or O.S.

Please share .skp file here. If file is too large to attach directly please post link to download from file sharing site.
It appears for the wood that you have applied a bump map, likely you have applied the template for wood flooring... this adds the grooves automatically.

Please follow the video tutorials I linked in my signature. It's a series of 6 videos that goes step-by-step through rendering with Twilight Render.

Also, you could post an image using the HDRi to light the scene as I suggested.
The images attached to your original post, they are very tiny res. and therefore I can not identify any problem like "thick rings of un-rendered materials on my objects".

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:20 pm

As Fletch mentioned, posting your scene is the easiest way to figure out what is going on.

Otherwise, have you checked your spheres for back-faces? A group (or component) with a material applied to the whole group (vs only applied directly to a face) that has backward faces showing to the camera will produce over-reflective surfaces. My guess is this is what is going on. If so, just reverse the faces of your spheres and you should get better results.

MEM

Post by MEM » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:44 pm

Ok, so, thank you so much again (both of you) for your answers.

I first tried out reversing the faces of the 3 spheres that didn't render correctly and it solved that problem. What I find awkward is that they are copy paste replicas of the very same first sphere, so why did they change the nature of the faces ?

I tried out with the wood plate, reversing the face, to see it would so easily solve the weird carved lines that shouldn't be there, and that didn't help (the face was already the right way). So I'm wondering if maybe this weird geometry appears because I used the "Round Corner" plugin (another one I recently bough in a bundle to make my life easier). Do you think it might have to do with that ?

I also tried getting to "Tech>Photon Map> 03 or 04" in the render settings and it isn't there.

I added the SKP file down here, hope it worked. I also tried the HDRI in the environment settings, and it also seems to work ok, but even without that HDRI, just with the reversing of faces (of components) it solved the unrendered stripes problem of the spheres. Unfortunately not the stripes on the wood plate. Here are also screenshots with higher resolution:
inside the box: Image
outside with HDRI: Image

Thank you Fletch and Chris !!!

Test Twilight Render tuto2.skp
(945.84 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
Attachments
Capture d’écran, le 2023-03-03 à 14.34.16.jpeg
Capture d’écran, le 2023-03-03 à 14.34.16.jpeg (966.01 KiB) Viewed 12396 times
Reverse faces ds component.jpeg
Reverse faces ds component.jpeg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 12396 times

MEM

Post by MEM » Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:52 pm

Oh and I had in fact started watching the Twilight Render official tutorials, on top of a couple by Justin Gets (TheSketchupEssentials). I started from the top of the list of the "Basic tutorials" on TR, was at "Basic Rendering" (the 5th), and I watched the two first of the youtube ones. I will definitely go through ALL of them, don't you worry. It's just that along the way, it's nice to stop and try out right away what you learn, it sticks better that way I find.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:24 pm

I'm glad our suggestions are helping! :D

I'm pretty sure (not 100%, but pretty sure) that the issue with the lines in the wood is because the wood material has a Bump Map applied to it. If you use the Twilight Render Material Editor, and you select the wood material, do you see a texture image applied to the "Bump" channel? If so, that's your culprit. You can remove it by just changing the Bump channel from Texture to Color.