Post by majid » Thu May 11, 2023 7:09 am

Steady progress...
The joy is key to learning, IMO

ntxdave
SketchUp: 2020Pro

Re: Krita/Sketchbook Learning Discussion

Post by ntxdave » Thu May 11, 2023 1:42 pm

majid wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 7:09 am The joy is key to learning, IMO
Yes, it is fun. As you can tell, I am no artist or architect but it is fun (and some times a little frustrating). :whoot:

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Sun May 14, 2023 12:58 am

OK - a practice image. Trying to lear how to make some objects look like they are rounded.
Practice Building for letter I
Practice Building for letter I
I-PracticeBuilding-1.png (305.4 KiB) Viewed 9227 times

majid
SketchUp: make 2017

Post by majid » Sun May 14, 2023 3:21 am

You obviously are developing.
My thoughts; As Mies van Der Rohe said: "God is in the Details". ( https://architizer.com/blog/inspiration ... ails-mies/ )
The development phase is also fun and of extreme importance... choosing the right material, color scheme, details, etc...AND thinking out of the box... just considering the first sketch as the initial point, you may or may not stick to it (formally) during the development phase.

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Sun May 14, 2023 2:11 pm

Another very interesting article Majid.

I do not have a background or any experience in either architecture or art. My only experience in either of these areas was when I did 3D drawings of car was equipment and a couple of renders of a car wash building. I retired from a software company back in 2011 and that is when I got involved with the 3D stuff and learned about SketchUp.

The stuff I am doing now is purely for fun. At my age, it is not that easy to learn this stuff and sometimes I get very frustrated when I can not come up with ideas or results like I would like to see. I would love to be able to draw or design things. I really enjoy seeing work like yours and some others I see on these forums (people like Fletch, Bryan K and jo-ke). I just do not have the talent but am determined to at least try!

Sorry for the long “rant”. You have encouraged me to try and shared some really interesting/inspiring work and info. :^: :^: :clap: :clap: :hat:

majid

Post by majid » Sun May 14, 2023 8:09 pm

I am also 47 and am learning "Python" and "Processing"!
This is heartwarmening to know that I have been "encouraging/inspiring".
I learned the building details by observing the workshops, not books (only).
Also tools like Scribble Diffusion are there to improve sketches!

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Mon May 15, 2023 5:07 pm

majid wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 8:09 pm I am also 47
At least I am not twice that age :rofl:

Here is a 2nd version of my “i” building.
I-Building-2
I-Building-2
I-Building-2.png (771.03 KiB) Viewed 9206 times
OK, after posting, I see several things wrong before I try to draw it in SketchUp and render it.
  • The pillars holding up the “ball” are supposed to be brick or concrete.
  • The center of the tower is supposed to be an elevator
  • The “ball” is going to be an observation space
  • The building around the tower is going to be an office building or hotel
To be honest, the sketch is somewhat similar to a couple of structures I have seen/visited only they were not surrounded by a building.

Given the topic of this thread, my objective is to learn how to “sketch”. I feel I am making so progress in spite of the “mistakes” :whoot:

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Tue May 16, 2023 10:57 pm

OK - another “practice/learning” sketch. Majid, this one is based on one of the sketches in you book (page 30). No, it is not exactly like yours (by design). I am struggling some with getting perspectives on the sketching process but I am determined to continue learning. Right now my concentration is on the sketching process rather than coming up with my own designs.

Don’t laugh too loud when you look at it. :rofl:
C-Building Practice
C-Building Practice
C-Building Practice-1.png (1010.86 KiB) Viewed 9193 times

majid

Post by majid » Wed May 17, 2023 6:29 am

:clap:
If I were you I would concentrate on one goal each time...
AND
When we are children, we ignore defeats and concentrate on achievements. It takes almost 2-3 months to learn to walk, each day we practice it, and almost every 2-3 min we fall down, but keep trying. just imagine how many times we fail... hundreds or thousand of times...
But, when we grow up we want to reach our goal in one go...
My way; I set a goal, for example, 50 times of doing a task, if failed set another 50 times practice... if succseed, go to the next practice...

ntxdave

Post by ntxdave » Wed May 17, 2023 2:59 pm

majid wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:29 am :clap:
If I were you I would concentrate on one goal each time...
AND
When we are children, we ignore defeats and concentrate on achievements. It takes almost 2-3 months to learn to walk, each day we practice it, and almost every 2-3 min we fall down, but keep trying. just imagine how many times we fail... hundreds or thousand of times...
But, when we grow up we want to reach our goal in one go...
My way; I set a goal, for example, 50 times of doing a task, if failed set another 50 times practice... if succseed, go to the next practice...
Actually, I am working on two things, learning how to use the software better AND learning how to draw in perspective better (especially without leaning heavily on the perspective tools in the software).

I have picked out some more examples from your book that I think will help me with that. When I can “walk” (from your example :D ) I will move on to some of my own ideas.