A basic question ref Express Presets

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
pewe

A basic question ref Express Presets

Post by pewe » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:03 pm

I am trying to compare various renderers for Sketchup - simplicity of operation being the key.

Each time I try the demo version of Twighlight using any of the Easy Presets the results are very dark
twilightpass1.jpg
twilightpass1.jpg (81.37 KiB) Viewed 10682 times
Another renderer produces this using there standard preset.
otherpass1.jpg
otherpass1.jpg (28.35 KiB) Viewed 10681 times
A third renderer creates this using their standard preset.
other2pass1.jpg
other2pass1.jpg (27.4 KiB) Viewed 10680 times
All the renders take approximately the same time and are produced from the same Sketchup file.

Why is the twilight output so dark compared to the others - and yet for the same image size output (600 x 282) Twilight has a file size over x2 ?

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: A basic question ref Express Presets

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:15 am

Did you do anything with the glass material? Twilight does not "guess" at what materials are, like some renderers. Some renderers will assume that materials with 'glass' in the name should be treated as glass; Twilight doesn't do that (because we don't think it's a good idea ;) ) From the images, it looks like that's your problem, but without more info, I certainly can't tell you more.
yet for the same image size output (600 x 282) Twilight has a file size over x2
What does this mean? /: Do you mean the saved output image? If so, that has nothing to do with the render. It has to do with the quality setting of the JPEG compression (assuming you are saving as JPG). Twilight uses 100% quality because we don't want you to loose any quality in your rendered image, which you will if you use a lower quality setting for JPEG compression.

pewe

Post by pewe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:14 pm

Thanks Chris.

I will look at the windows material. I guess the other 2 renderers are using the 'glass' name - but I'll look at that in more detail.

Also, I guess the jpg output from the others is as you imply probably reduced quality, but again I'll check.

Sorry if the questions were a bit basic, but using a rendering plugin/programme is new to me as my previous experience with rendering was with an automatic feature 'built in' to another software package and the settings options were minimal.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 pm

No problem. We try to make Twilight as easy to use as possible! :D

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:29 pm

:welcome: pewe,
Thanks for asking the question!
simply apply the Twilight material template "Architectural Glass No Shadow"

the topic in the FAQ called "Light Through A Window" will be a great help.

It's not that Twilight is "complicated" in this, it's just that Twilight doesn't "Force" itself on your model, or "assume" things.

To apply materials, it is VERY fast with Twilight, and the materials will be physically accurate! ... simply watch the video tutorials, and all your questions will be answered.

pewe

Post by pewe » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks Fletch - I'll do just that.

The problem with this subject area is that there are a number of renderer opions each with its own level of complexity (or otherwise) and to read through all the documentation can be quite time consuming.

So I thought - lets start with the basics and see what the 'one click' renderers do, and as you know - they all do it differently and to greater or lesser degrees in terms of speed/quality.

So I guess it's now time to spend a bit more time on it.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:30 am

well, Twilight was not intended to be a one-click render. It was intended to be very simple to learn, easy to use for beginners, yet very deep/powerful for advanced users as well.
It also renders with both Biased or Unbiased (either non-progressive or progressive) render methods.
It also renders animations from several animation plugins available for SketchUp (not sure if other render engines for SU can do that... guessing not)

It avoids having many confusing settings for the render settings, but allows you, as an advanced user, to use any render settings you can think of...

so, that's "Twilight"...

we are here to help, if you need it.

The video tutorials are self-paced, and should be fairly clear for you. Please let us know if they can be improved.

pewe

Post by pewe » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:39 am

Thanks Fletch.

It does appear to be very simple - the presets seem to work well enough with other renders I have tried, although I do have one issue I need to look at (which is also commom to other renderers I have looked at but I believe can be handled by one I haven't been able to 'test')

I will experiment and try to find a solution, and come back in due course with a new topic if I need assistance.

Thanks again.

Equis

Post by Equis » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:13 pm

pewe: Mind reposting your results after the material tweak? ;)

pewe

Post by pewe » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Equis

Haven't had much time to experiment yet, but heres a quick revision and tweaked render. I changed the glass and tweaked the rendered image using the Simple Tone mapping filter set at 1.3Exposure and 1.2 Gamma.
twighlightpass2.jpg
twighlightpass2.jpg (189.4 KiB) Viewed 10573 times