Denoiser - I don't see any difference

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
VEER
SketchUp: most recent

Denoiser - I don't see any difference

Post by VEER » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:07 pm

Hi,

I rendererd two scenes.
Render 2 test (denoise rendering function turned on).jpg
Render 2 test (denoise rendering function turned on).jpg (850.08 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Render 1 test (denoise rendering function turned off).jpg
Render 1 test (denoise rendering function turned off).jpg (850.06 KiB) Viewed 3385 times
Both on the same settings, except the denoise rendering put on and of.
The rest of the presets were like this:
-Render preset: Simple 09
-Size 3190x2100
-Maximum render iterations 3
-32 threaths
-Both a render time of 38 minutes before completing.

Can anyone see the difference between the renders?
I don’t see any, so I’m wondering if I do something wrong, or the denoise rendering was just a bad investment.

My pc details are:
-Windows (x64)
-CPU AMD Ryzen 9 5950x 16-Core 3.4 GHz
-GPU NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB 1,86 GHz
-64GB RAM

Settings in SketchUp -> Denoiser is on function Auto, No crashes reported, but already limited the memory at 1GB.

Really looking forward for your reply.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Denoiser - I don't see any difference

Post by Chris » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:02 pm

I would say it's pretty certain that the Denoiser isn't running successfully. The first image doesn't look any different than the second.

I recommend that you test the function of the Denoiser first. Run a very simple scene, maybe 800x600 of just the sky and a simple model. Make sure you run with Interior or Interior+. Render the scene for about 10-20 iterations and stop it. Then turn on the Denoiser. Turning on the Denoiser should denoise the image immediately and the difference should be obvious. If it works, my guess the issue is memory. If it doesn't run, check the log to see if any messages were posted while it was rendering/denoising.

If it is a memory issue, try reducing the Memory Limit to 500MB (or even lower). Restart SketchUp and try again. Most modern cards should be able to handle the 1GB limit but it's always a good test to try.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Denoiser - I don't see any difference

Post by Fletch » Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:25 pm

Agree with Chris above.

Change your status on the forum as a Pro user:
Note: Twilight Render V2 Professional users, go here to automatically upgrade your account.

Make a rendering for 3 minutes, then use the "Capture" button and open that noisy image in the new window and hit "Denoise" button to see of that works. It should work perfectly on the Ryzen.

But more importantly, it should also be working perfectly on your NVIDIA card, and not require the capture button at all. That's a nice rig, you should be getting clear images in just a couple-three minutes with denoise working.

Be sure to completely restart your computer if something weird like this is happening, it may fix itself.