Nader Khalili Iranian/American architect has innovative ideas

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Nader Khalili Iranian/American architect has innovative ideas

Post by Fletch » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:41 pm

I read Nader's book "Racing Alone" back in 2006 or 2007, turns out he died soon after that which I didn't know. :cry:

There's another which I did not read called "Earth Bag Building". But Nader Khalili wrote many books.
hesperia-united-states-iranianborn-architect-nader-khalili.jpeg
hesperia-united-states-iranianborn-architect-nader-khalili.jpeg (27.16 KiB) Viewed 83097 times
Essentially he sprayed ceramic glaze all over inside of an earthen house then put a spout of crude oil inside the middle of an earthen house and set it on fire from the inside turning the interior into glazed ceramic, making it extremely strong - he claimed that they were earthquake and bomb proof. :shock:
Nader-Khalili-Superadobe-homes-1-3414169874.jpg
Nader-Khalili-Superadobe-homes-1-3414169874.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 83094 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nader_Khalili
1936-2008
Khalili developed his Super Adobe system in 1984, in response to a NASA call for designs for human settlements on the moon and Mars.[5] The project had been completely theoretical until the Persian Gulf War in 1990–1991 when refugees were sent into Iran.[5] When this occurred Khalili partnered with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) and applied his research to emergency shelters.

https://cosmoecologos.blogspot.com/2012 ... adobe.html

JGA
SketchUp: 2015 pro

Re: Nader Khalili Iranian/American architect has innovative ideas

Post by JGA » Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:26 pm

Fletch wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:41 pm I read Nader's book "Racing Alone" back in 2006 or 2007, turns out he died soon after that
Please don't read any more books :shock:
JGA

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:03 pm

JGA wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:26 pm
Fletch wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:41 pm I read Nader's book "Racing Alone" back in 2006 or 2007, turns out he died soon after that
:shh: :whistle:

majid
SketchUp: make 2017

Post by majid » Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:04 pm

JGA wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:26 pm
: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: This is when "coincident" is considered as "cause and effect!"

majid

Post by majid » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:04 am

I realized that he has books on Rumi, and thought it would be fine if I shared some insights, as someone from another culture might perceive his ideas differently, based on their prior experiences and thoughts.
Rumi and his spiritual Sufi master Shams, could be considered as Muslim Humanists. They have many thoughts in common but differences in some. From Shams, there remained only a book of his speeches, called "maqalat" (dissemination). Rumi has several books including his poems and two dedicated to his speeches. While many relate to his poems (kz they are well known) his speeches are the key to knowing him and a key to knowing his master.
In brief , due to my understanding, he believes that although this world is really important, but you must consider it as a hotel, or caravanserai, where you have a short stay and pass it to higher levels. He believes that our journey started from soil, to plant to animal to human, our next steps would be the realm of angles, and after that we will realize as "non-existences", what he says is really hard to imagine. after that we would die again to become god...

از جمادی مُردم و نامی شدم

وز نما مُردم به ‌حیوان سرزدم

مُردم از حیوانی و آدم شدم

پس چه ترسم؟ کی ز مردن کم شدم؟

حمله دیگر بمیرم از بشر

تا برآرم از ملائک بال و پر

وز ملک هم بایدم جستن ز جو

کل شیء هالک الا وجهه

بار دیگر از ملک پران شوم

آنچه اندر وهم ناید آن شوم

پس عدم گردم عدم چو ارغنون

گویدم کانا الیه راجعون

So based on this philosophy, sticking to this earthy living as the only life is a regret. You do your best here to be prepared for the next realms. We are here to realize the divine love. and he always depicts a conversation between our mind and divine love. In brief, he calls divine love as "love". That is why many have a false understanding of his ideas.
عقل گويد شش جهت حدست و بيرون راه نيست عشق گويد راه هست و رفته ام من بارها
عقل بازاري بديد و تاجري آغاز کرد عشق ديده زان سوي بازار او بازارها
اي بسا منصور پنهان ز اعتماد جان عشق ترک منبرها بگفته برشده بر دارها
عاشقان دردکش را در درونه ذوق ها عاقلان تيره دل را در درون انکارها
عقل گويد پا منه کاندر فنا جز خار نيست عشق گويد عقل را کاندر توست آن خارها

majid

Post by majid » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:17 pm

سوی نومیدی مرو امیدهاست
سوی تاریکی مرو خورشیدهاست
Do not delve into disappointments, as there are hopes
Do not follow darkness as there are too many suns...
Rumi

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:47 am

Thank you, Majid, for kindly opening up this man's poetry/philosophy to us. :hug:
I hope we can all find ways to show loving-kindness to one another.

His philosophy sounds very similar (in this aspect) to what Jesus taught... (not the reincarnation part) that the most important part of our lives here is to show (in a practical way, not a feeling way or just in our thoughts or ideas) loving-kindness (Greek: agape) toward one-another. (in short, to love God, and equally important to love our neighbor)

...Of course, I don't know about Persian, but English is woefully inadequate to express all the different types of love, we say love for everything and it can quickly lose meaning or get confusing. At least in Greek there were at least 8 different words.

majid

Post by majid » Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:49 am

Thank you, Fletch for sharing the link. :clap: :hat:
It sounds like Rumi has been familiar with Judaism and Christianity and has his own interpretation of Islam, which is based on the holy Quran, but wisely chosen. There are some parts of the holy Quran, that are highly dependent on a specific moment at the time of the prophet, and the problem is that some continue obeying them in any situation. There is a saying from prophet Muhammad, that goes: first your neighbor, then your house. It means that first, you have to care about your neighbor, rather than only your family! And he declares several times that I was commanded by angels to take care of my neighbors so that thought they may even receive heritage! Just imagine how would be the world that all of us cared about each other...
it is a delicate decision though, it must be mutual, otherwise one would be a victim...
I believe all prophets were trying to teach us how to respect each other and nature, how to love... the way that Rumi also has chosen. He has a story that clearly says all the religions are the same but in different languages, that is why we misunderstand each other.
it is a story of 3 men who are going to buy something to eat. One Turk, one Arab, and a Greek. They argue that their suggestion is the best to buy and insist on it when a wise man passes, hearing them, and telling them to go to the shop hand-in-hand and buy what they think is the best choice. They were suggesting buying "grapes" but in their language... and at the shop, they realized the fact.
The same story here, we all need respect and love, but due to our misunderstanding, fight... We need more wisdom to realize this fact...