Shodan Poolhouse WIP

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
bytor
SketchUp: 18

Shodan Poolhouse WIP

Post by bytor » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:08 pm

A WIP image from the LeCorbusier Casa Shodan project I am working on. This is a test view of the guest house / garage which I am converting into poolhouse & entertaining area. This view was to test the pool / patio with water and a little waterfall from the hottub. The car and treese won't remain where they are located - just threw them in there to take advantage of the rendertime overnight. My questions are:
1- waterfall - is it convincing enough?
2- What can i do at the bottom of the waterfall to make it look more like it should?
3- Stone rubble wall - should I put a limetone cap on it?

Thanks for any feedback - crits!
Dean
Attachments
CASA_SHODAN_PH_VIEW-4x.jpg
CASA_SHODAN_PH_VIEW-4x.jpg (445.81 KiB) Viewed 4964 times

Stu

Re: Shodan Poolhouse WIP

Post by Stu » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Looking pretty good!!....not sure about the plants growing out of the wall in th foreground tho :)

I always find falling water a challence. Could I suggest in this case that you make the tiles under that water fall a lighter colour.....this would distinguish it from the adjacent edging etc and might help to indicate flowing water.

I would also create some froth or broken water at the base of the waterfall in PS....even just random dots with the clone tool.

Have you tried Majid's procedurals for the pool water?... I would be using 'Everyday Pool' or Windy Pool' .

Im not sure about capping the rubble wall.....but maybe scale the texture up a bit, to increase the rock size?

Stu

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Hi Bytor! still having some smoothing issues with a few little walls there...

When mapping a texture around a curved surface, turn on hidden geometry and sample the image of the first face of the curve with the paint bucket+ALT key, then let go of alt and paint the adjacent face, then sample that face with alt, then paint the next face, and so on along the curve, this will give better looking mapping for your stone texture on the wall. (could be cool quick-tutorial idea)

a stone cap is typical on mid-to-high-end projects... no?

if you don't like postpro (easiest/fastest) you will have to model the ripple in the water where the water falls into the pool, or at very least create your own custom bump map for the pool. (could be another cool quick-tutorial idea)

be sure when you use the water material, that you set it to NOT cast shadow, and to model the pool depth accurately. Set opacity to 5 or even zero for the water.

or check out this tutorial
or the pre-made pools in the resource section.

bytor
SketchUp: 18

Post by bytor » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:08 am

Thanks for the feedback Stu & Fletch! Really goodstuff in both posts...

Didn't get back to this for a couple of days - but I think I resolved the majority of the items. I love Majid's water and fountain materials - I think the worked well. Everything is modeled / rendered. Not that I am opposed to post work - I just wanted to work on resolving this in the render engine as much as possible. I am pretty happy with this portion of the overall project - so I will likely move on to the interiors of the pool house next, and eventually back to the main house. I will tackle the rest of the site and final plantings and outdoor furniture later.

Thanks for the help - If you have more suggestions -please keep them coming!
Dean
Attachments
CASA_SHODAN_PH_VIEW-4NEWx.jpg
CASA_SHODAN_PH_VIEW-4NEWx.jpg (480.2 KiB) Viewed 4801 times