TW presets

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
rtd
SketchUp: 2017P

TW presets

Post by rtd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:23 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed before in a long past thread.

What is the relationship between TW presets and KT presets? That is, which "Easy 1, 2, 3", etc., correspond to photon mapping, simple (backward) ray tracing, MLT? I assume that the low numbers are for basic ray tracing and that the progressive methods are MLT and bi-directional, but when does photon tracing come into the mix?

Why am I asking? I'm having trouble getting light to bounce where it would in the 'real' world. It seems that I should start to see some of this after only a few iterations of one of the progressive methods and I'm not. I will keep experimenting.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: TW presets

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:38 pm

All Kerkythea settings are available via Twilight's Render dialog - try the TECH settings folder.

Easy 1-7 correspond to Photon Mapping + Final Gathering (PMFG) but they are special settings created for Twilight. If you are not getting light bounced, it's because you are using a prelim or low setting.

If you know what you are doing, and know what you want to set for bounces, photon shooting, mesh detail, etc. You can do 2 things:
1)
  • make any render setting using KT's render settings.
  • save the .xml file from KT using the "save as render preset" save option.
  • drop the render setting file into your Twilight Render Settings Custom folder.
  • close/reopen the Render Dialog in Twilight, now you will see the setting available for your use.
2)
  • copy any TWL render setting into your Custom folder
  • rename the file how you want it.
  • open it using notepad or other text editor of your choice (I really like notepad++)
  • modify any setting you like... save file (make sure it is a .xml file, not a .txt file when you save)
  • close/reopen the Render Dialog in Twilight, now you will see the setting available for your use.