physical sky color

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
rtd
SketchUp: 2017P

physical sky color

Post by rtd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:26 pm

Using 'Physical Sky' generally results in blue being added to all materials and colors with some, especially near-white objects, appearing blue in the rendering. I accept that the physics and the calculations are correct, but in the real world our eyes make adjustments to compensate.

When we know a wall is white, we see it as white, not blue. I assume that it is common to 'warm-up' the sunlight color. What are some typical RGB recipes? Is it more common to move toward yellow as in lowering the sunlight color temp to that of an incandescent lamp or is it, "if it looks good, it is good"? I suspect the latter, but would like to get other opinions.

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Re: physical sky color

Post by flipya » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:44 pm

I don't really like the effect too much warming gives to the image as a whole, that's why I prefer to fix stuff like this in postpro. Click here for a simple method.
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:29 pm

The fastest/best quality way to 'fix' the blue caste is using Whitepoint fix in Photoshop or other similar (Picasa can do this very simply/fast and is free)

If you prefer to warm it up using the sun color - the Video Tutorial for Sun and Sky gives some recommended color settings for warming up the sun.

This Tips and Tricks thread may be just what you are looking for: First thing to do to warm up the Sun and Sky

More about Twilight's Physical Sky

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:55 pm

I usually prefer to use an HDR sky rendered in Vue. They look pretty good.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:57 pm

If rendering an HDR sky, it is best to use a "smooth" HDR for the lighting of the scene, and a hi-res HDRI in post-pro in the background.

This will avoid some artifacts when using Hi-res HDRI.
In hi-res rendering, greater than 2000px, the spherical sky (whether .jpg or hdr) would need to be very hi-res to look clear... and at that extreme hi resolution you could either run out of ram quickly, or just have a black sky render.