small office building

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Pg09

Re: small office building

Post by Pg09 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:12 pm

daing i didn't know that this was covered here in the forum - thanks Fletch!
Cheers,

Adam

olishea

Post by olishea » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:31 pm

good stuff pg09

i would suggest better grass-i know you had issues whatever...also add some 'age' to the walls. the background trees too saturated and a bit too CGI. PNG trees would probably be better.

green roof is a bit 'in-your-face' maybe its too saturated im not sure you dont see many roofs like that in the UK so cant make an informed criticism really.

if you are masking in a background; make sure you double your render resolution for the alpha mask so you get nice clean edges (obviously you'll have to scale it down in photoshop over your render).

cars dont look great, some better ones on the 3d warehouse or other 3D repositories. look for majid's car paint library in this forum....excellent selection of colours.

nice bird
Oli

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:16 pm

Hey Oli,

thanks for the input! i will go through the list and post the result in a day or 2...
Cheers,

Adam

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:12 pm

Hey Oli,
thanks for the comments again (all good points btw).
I think i tried to fix everything except the grass in the foreground -in reality there gonna be dirt or concrete drive way/parking so i can't show neat grass there.
I think i will add some text there to hide some of it... :halo:

I still have some whitish halo problem with some of the PP plants - i guess i need to find better ones ??, or is there a way to get rid of that in PS?

Colors changed per request of the architect.
Attachments
uwitest66-08Ext-4h-D copy-web.jpg
uwitest66-08Ext-4h-D copy-web.jpg (509.46 KiB) Viewed 9756 times
Cheers,

Adam

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Post by flipya » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Looks pretty nice Pg!

I suppose the alpha mask for the leaves is just not perfect. Check the tutorials section on this great website for an easy fix (it's the bottom one).
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:17 pm

ok so far...
some things to keep in mind...
roof looks like it is a far too saturated color to look realistic... looks like a cartoon.
it also seems flat in color too... which mat. template is applied?

postpro of better plants over the existing in the rendering (relying on the shadows from the rendering)
postpro of foreground ... actual ground material

This will give MUCH MUCH more realism... along with some of the other post-pro tricks.

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:34 pm

@flipya - thank you, i never saw that that site has tutorials too! the one in the bottom worked nicely and i liked the other one about blending modes too

@fletch - thanks for the compliment! what is ok for you is pretty good for me. :) :)

i agree about the roof - i thought i can fix it in PS but i couldn't so i guess i have to render again, i only used Generic/Flat on the material

"postpro of better plants over the existing in the rendering (relying on the shadows from the rendering)"
im not sure how to do that - render twice, first with then without 3d plants, then blend it somehow in PS?
-or just render with plants and cover up the bad looking ones with photos? i don't think i can do that either :)

i think i can crop in something for the forground - i just have to find some decent dirt/gravel shots.
i still plan to cover some of it with text :)
Cheers,

Adam

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:11 am

or just render with plants and cover up the bad looking ones with photos
this is exactly what I was thinking.

If you can't do that, and I don't blame you... you may want to find or purchase some good plants for future renderings. Solo's plants, Tom's trees, and there are many good SU plants available. Formfonts is also a good resource!

Here's a scene with no post-pro, all SketchUp plants only. Most are either free, formfonts, or Solo or Tom's stuff... plus the grass from Twilight's components free for licensed users.

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:42 pm

I bought Solo's garden pack a long time ago - and used some of it in the scene.

I didn't have Tom's oak tree, but i will try to find it and make a test with them in the back left...
Cheers,

Adam

Pg09

Post by Pg09 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:39 pm

I read in the manual that TW is not supposed to use all (both) threads of the CPU but this is what's happening now (i'm using Easy 08)
Is there a way to tweak that? It's kinda impossible to work with Archicad while TW is rendering...
Cheers,

Adam