Roofterrace

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
flipya
SketchUp: 7

Roofterrace

Post by flipya » Tue May 25, 2010 10:02 pm

I did this today for a friend. She wants a terrace and has the annual (I think) owners' meeting for her block next monday. Seeing as it's unpaid I didn't wallow over the details.
1h30m modelling + postpro (and 2h of rendering). Might be the quickest job I've done so far :lol:
Roof_Simone.jpg
Roof_Simone.jpg (741.79 KiB) Viewed 7879 times
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Re: Roofterrace

Post by fymoro » Tue May 25, 2010 10:06 pm

Wow man, perfect photo matching to me... :^:
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue May 25, 2010 10:14 pm

They will be upset thinking that she already built it w/out their permission! :lol:

Dylan
SketchUp: 8

Post by Dylan » Wed May 26, 2010 7:37 am

Looks fantastic.

How did you achieve the shadows on the wall from the bamboo plants? I am guessing the wall is part of the existing photograph.

olishea

Post by olishea » Wed May 26, 2010 8:44 am

if i didn't know they were solo plants i would have just assumed its a photograph! perfect! :^:

yeah is the wall modeled? or did you render with a white wall and deleted? :gj:
Oli

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Post by flipya » Wed May 26, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks for the comments guys :)

I really love photomatching my renders, such a satisfying job...

About the shadows; I did model the wall (single plane, no thickness) and projected the photo onto it. Originally just to get reflections right and avoid white edges after alphamasking (especially around the bamboo-leafs). So my plan was to use raw SU-output for the shadows and use those to (blurred-)mask a lightness adjustment layer onto the original photo. However, the SU shadows from the bamboo were such a pain to select in PS I decided to cut a corner and mask in a little of the rendered wall just for the shadows. Luckily I had subdivided the wall about 10 times so the phototexture came out with only a few bends in it. Even with selective blurring I think my planned method wouldn't have given me nearly as nice shadows as this did :lol: Only place where the phototexture was really screwed up was the doorframe but managed to fix that in liquify using pixelpush. I guess key to this approach is colormatching the rendered wall to the original (which took about 5 seconds), and a bit of luck :)

Hope that clears things up a little. If not, let me know ;)

P.S. Just realised I did use SU-output shadow somewhere in the image, the shadow from the left part of the railing and the planter to the left were SU-ouput. Blurred and used as a mask on an adjustment-layer.
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Boofredlay
SketchUp: 2014

Post by Boofredlay » Wed May 26, 2010 11:49 pm

That is a great photo. Now where is the rendering :?: :D