Cover page for portfolio

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
o2bwln

Cover page for portfolio

Post by o2bwln » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:26 pm

Howdy folks,

I'm getting ready to start my own architecture firm (after years of working for other architects) and wanted to have a cover page for my portfolio.

I'd love to get C&C from you folks, the image is missing something and I've been staring at it for so long I could use some opinions. The site plan is from an old project that I had worked on along with the initial sketch I had done for the project.

I'd be remiss if I didn't give Solo credit for this inspiration. I'm hoping that it's not too similar to his idea and hopefully he doesn't take umbrage to me spring-boarding off of his work.

Thanks,
O2bwln
Attachments
site.jpg
site.jpg (733.08 KiB) Viewed 14308 times

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Re: Cover page for portfolio

Post by fymoro » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:54 pm

It's very nice, I like the idea...
For me the shadow is not enough strong, and why you don't introduce some words like: architecture, interior design, landscaping, etc...
It is just my opinion... ;)
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/

Boofredlay
SketchUp: 2014

Post by Boofredlay » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:04 pm

That is very cool. And yes my first thought was... "Solo did that" :lol:

I agree the shadows could be darker. And the 3D plant materials on the plan are way out of scale in relation to the plan scale. You might also make the glass with more segments.

Stu

Post by Stu » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm

OK Mate...sorry...to be honest I dont like it.

It's cute....but should a professional architecture practice shout cute?

I find it's messy and gives lots of mixed messages.....you do landscapes?...you use pencils and hand drawing?...... you do primitive modeling?

I think a snappy, architectural render that shows what you can do would be far simpler and more effective....think of it as advertising....your prospective clients are going to make a visual judgement about you in a milli-second.

Again sorry....just my opinion.....but I thought I should throw it into the mix :oops:

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:11 pm

I agree with the shadows comment, should be stronger.

I really like the rocks and ferns along the river. The trees are good but I think they should either be more realistic (maybe some leaf SSS?) or less (maybe ruled paper texture?).

From a professionalism standpoint, I personally don't believe it is "cute", but I have to admit I'm not an architect. :lol: I think that you should take your name off the pen and make the text in the corner more noticeable / prominent along with "Architect" or whatever titles you want to add. But that's just my take.

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:16 pm

Very Nice!!!
Ok test stronger shadows, but not too much...
I would also go for another color for the glass on the right! Violet is not my kind of color, I'd rather go for blue or green

archigrafix

Post by archigrafix » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:17 pm

OOPS to congrate for your new architectural Firm... I wishes you all the best!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:42 pm

from my teaching days... the "k.i.s.s." principle still applies here,
I'd just delete the glass with drawing utensils inside it completely, and slide the arch. scale over and up to fill the empty space there.
a tiny bit of DOF will go a long way to adding reasism.
then I think it's a very nicely done image.

Solo was not the first person to have this idea, I've seen something similar several times over the years. ...not even MC Escher was first ("hands drawing hands"?!) so I hardly believe Solo will take offense at all. We are all inspired by the work we love from others...

o2bwln

Post by o2bwln » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:32 am

Thanks everyone for the comments :)

Stu, no need to apologize for your critique, you brought up valid points and I could never take constructive criticism negatively. I might not agree with you but I won't take it personally.

I will certainly take a closer look at the comments and make changes an needed.

Thanks again,
O2bwln