Lampshade again

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
camelot217

Lampshade again

Post by camelot217 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:42 pm

I'm new to Twilight and like it a LOT!!!

I've read everything I can find about using the Lampshade_Twilight Library. Still I can't get it to work.

I know to make the shade with a thickness (1/16"). I have a simple SKU model that I hope someone could look at and see if I missed something.

Thanks i advance.

Tom
Attachments
lamp-test-render-1.skp
SKU model
(55.69 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Renders like this
Renders like this
lamp-stand-1-render.jpg (13.16 KiB) Viewed 3683 times

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Lampshade again

Post by Fletch » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:12 pm

the entire lampshade, not only the outside face, needs to be painted with the lampshade material in SU.
you have the inside of the lampshade painted with "Default"... hence no light coming through. ;)

It is a good idea, when using "lampshade" materials, because the color of your material in SU does not matter when using a Library Material, that you use a color OTHER than white, so as to distinguish quickly which faces have been painted and which have not.

also, in order for curved surfaces to turn out smooth, they must be in a group or component (due to a quirk in SketchUp, not in Twilight)
Attachments
translucentlampshade.jpg
translucentlampshade.jpg (104.32 KiB) Viewed 3670 times
lamp-test-render-fixed.skp
(59.32 KiB) Downloaded 328 times

camelot217

Re: Lampshade again

Post by camelot217 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:43 pm

Thanks Fletch,

Goosh I thought I read somewhat I only needed to paint the outside but what you say makes sense.

As you where posting I figured a way around making the lampshade out of translucent glass and then apply lampshade material. Maybe the same thing as you described but with different material

It actually turned out pretty good with one light inside. Still need some fine tuning. Rendered at 3

Thanks again!

Tom
Attachments
bedroom-1.png
bedroom-1.png (157.61 KiB) Viewed 3668 times