Feature Request - faster draft mode for animation

The Twilight Render Team shares tips, ideas, helpful hints, and more on using Twilight Render
PAS

Feature Request - faster draft mode for animation

Post by PAS » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:05 pm

I have a feature request.
Could you add an option in the animation render settings for a more simplified and faster output type?
Example: Anti-aliasing seems like too much detail for what is the equivalent of a "draft" mode.
All I need to see is the shadows, colors, and animation. I don't need a refined image.
Right now there seems to be 3 primary (time consuming) steps. Building environment, ray tracing, and anti-aliasing and each takes about the same time.
I am rendering a large automated warehouse and need to make many quick drafts of animated activity options.
Could this be sped up in any manner?

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Feature Request - faster draft mode for animation

Post by Ecuadorian » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:40 pm

I believe the first preset in the "Easy" section does not have any antialiasing.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:32 am

you can render any setting in animation mode.
Feel free to open any setting you like, and change anything in the setting you like... just remember to save it into your "custom" folder and give it a logical name.

I have provided the raytracing setting for you below (without AA), this should be a very fast setting. It is NOT a recommended setting for anything other than quick animation preliminary testing. It does not bounce light. It does NOT cast light from the sky or incorporate global illumination.

I usually prefer the "diffuse texture" render setting for just running low res prelim animations with full fps to see actual final resulting camera motion and animation speed output. It also gives me the frame numbers this way.

Prelim setting has no AA, you can change tracing depth to 1 or zero in that setting.
Attachments
01. Ray Tracing - Low.zip
(911 Bytes) Downloaded 565 times

PAS

Post by PAS » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I went through the PDF Manual for the application and did not see a lot of explanation as to what the various settings for rendering did and what their ranges were.
Does such a document exist?

Example from the script: <Parameter Name="Max Ray Tracing Depth" Type="Integer" Value="1" />
1. What options besides 'Integer' are available and what does each do?
2. What does a value of 0, 1, 5, 10, or 100 give for the value?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:18 pm

PAS

Post by PAS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:30 am

Thank you for the link. The info should be useful.