IOR settings...

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
tomsdesk

IOR settings...

Post by tomsdesk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:41 pm

Fletch, you suggested, over on the SCF, I could change the IOR setting to adjust how my windows were working...

...but, I tried to change the IOR but once I've applied the Twilight glass material all the adjustment options are greyed-out...and clicking (right or left) on the only ungreyed chain, or the icon beside it, does nothing. Do I have to change the material to something else first? If so, what?

[On another note, I'm getting cornfussed as to where to reply...this issue may well need to be here, but the suggestion was over there so the follow-up might be of interest to folks there (plus your easy fixes might convince others to come here also :`) What to do? What to do?]

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: IOR settings...

Post by Fletch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi Tom,
Reply where you like, you're the boss! :D
I prefer to handle Twilight help questions on this forum, naturally. But can see your point.

So, to get this straight,
To apply a glass material to your windows you followed these steps:
  1. Clicked the Twilight Toolbar Material button
  2. you used the eyedropper to click on the window glass SU material
  3. you went to the Twilight Material Dialog and Clicked the word "Template"
  4. you went down the list and chose "Architectural Glass"
  5. you chose from the submenu "Common"
and now your IOR option is greyed out? hmmm....
normally they are only greyed out if you use a material from the libraries. I am guessing you are using the Architectral glass from the Twilight Architectural Library, right? :D
These materials are not editable. Not to worry - just use the Template for Architectural Glass and you're in business. ;)

Here's a training video for using Twilight materials Templates and Libraries. It only takes a few minutes to watch, and will open up a world of Template Power to you :D

tomsdesk

Post by tomsdesk » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:14 pm

You got it about the library, Fletch...and you bet, I'll get to the vids: just trying your suggestions as they come up. Also played around with the materials in the templete with no difference to the render...then (AHA!) tried not using the background image and (WALLA!) it was the culprit causing the rather dark windows.

Thanks for your quick responses (and my feeling too is that the specific program stuff goes here, but I've learned so much from "extraneous" information in the threads at SCF I don't want to leave an issue high and dry there).

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:45 pm

:D
welcome to rendering... don't worry - we've all had that happen... "why are my windows dark?" ...then later... "Oh!... that's because they are reflecting something dark!"
:lol:
happened to me too. ;)
try a spherical treeline sky from the Licensed User section, I think you will like them a lot.