Twilight Aspect ratio "bars" in sketchup view? Possible?

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
derei
SketchUp: 2015 x64

Twilight Aspect ratio "bars" in sketchup view? Possible?

Post by derei » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Hy, is any way to have visual indications of aspect ratio for render in sketchup? I just find myself in the position to fine tune the camera and I had no clue of what gets in sight and what is out of the field of view, so I had to do it by several tries.
ARTIST AND DESIGNER DEREI.UK

JeZ
SketchUp: 8.0 pro

Re: Twilight Aspect ratio "bars" in sketchup view? Possible?

Post by JeZ » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:31 pm

you need to click on the position scene view button. The far right one on the twilight bar.

And uncheck fit to view proportion in the render settings tab.

derei

Post by derei » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:48 pm

hmm, I see now... two red thin lines, barely visible. I used that button often to focus the camera, but I never saw that lines. Any way to tweak them, to be thicker?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:26 pm

SketchUp 8 changed the way they treated alpha of the lines, so the lines were rendered now much lighter. They were perfect in SU7.
This will be fixed, yes.

derei

Post by derei » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:00 am

Well, if you fix this, maybe you fix the behavior too. If I set the pan tool (hand), the bars disappear and I have to push the button again after panning, to see how much I moved the camera compared to the frame.
I like Maxwell's bars, because can't be confused with the model. yours are fine too, but adding some settings to them would be better. (like color change, line thickness, and why not, a option to enable/disable rule of thirds and a center mark).

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:00 pm

When you are in the Twilight View Tool, you are using a 'special' tool. All you need to do is learn how it works, and I think you will like it a lot.
It is not the intention to replace the SU native view tools. It is the intention to give you more precise view targeting.

While the Twilight View Tool is active, if you left click any point in your scene it will automatically center the rotation ON THAT POINT. Dramatically changing the way the tool works in comparison to SU's native 3D orbit view navigation.

For PAN you LEFT click, hold SHIFT down to "pan". (We can not over-ride the basic pan function from SU, it is what it is.)

Maxwell's "Bars" - not sure what that is, but if it's the darkened letterboxing then we definitely do NOT like that way. This is actually a default way SU handles non-screen-aspect-ratio cameras.
Twilight worked that way when it first came out and it had many limitations. (Mainly that the letterbox can get "stuck" in your scene and it's annoying if you are showing a client and want them to go away) Twilight's View Tool, once you are used to how it works, is much more elegant and useful than the normal SU letterboxing.