Health kiosk

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
Equis

Health kiosk

Post by Equis » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:51 am

This is the first time I've dusted off Twilight Render in two years and thought I'd share. I'm pretty happy with the results.

I'm working on the design and presentation of a health station/kiosk for a client who's participating in a competition. This "kiosk" is the kind of thing you'd find in a shopping mall. Inside this mini building is a machine that takes your blood pressure and calculates BMI and such, similar to what you'd find at the back of your local drugstore, except they plan to do more. HIPA privacy requirements pushed us in the direction of fully enclosing the testing station. A photo-booth-like closet wasn't sufficient.

Anyway, this time around I learned how to use .hdr images and sky probes, which I've really grown to LOVE. Sky probes are great until you have to render an animation and you lose your clean curved plane lightbox background. I had to place this model in a giant white bowl to lose the horizon line and still be able to shoot it from any direction. The problem, then, with putting it in a white bowl is that anything you want to be chrome only reflects white from the bowl and not the .hdr. Oh well. :!

The only other thing that has become a problem are the face-me people not, uh, facing me when the camera is making its rounds. I got around that by breaking the animation up into smaller clips and putting the people in the background. It made the issue much less obvious. It's all going to be edited together into a presentation video anyway, so it doesn't matter if I break up the long videos now or later.

Anyway, comments and questions welcome.
Attachments
front_800.jpg
front_800.jpg (117.62 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
monitors_800.jpg
monitors_800.jpg (131.41 KiB) Viewed 7568 times
ads_800.jpg
ads_800.jpg (136.03 KiB) Viewed 7573 times
Last edited by Equis on Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

flipya
SketchUp: 7

Re: Health kiosk

Post by flipya » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Looks pretty cool to me, great for conceptual work. The animation problem with the face-me sounds familiar, have had that too and didn't have time to find out a solution so I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows how to solve it.
Only critique I have is that for images like this I'd use images that are less dominating for the advertisement on the back, they really draw the eye and distract from the actual design (for me at least :D).
Some say there are no stupid questions. I'm in the habit of proving those people wrong.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:52 pm

I really like the images. Great work!
Not sure what to tell you about the chrome, it must have something to reflect to render properly. :!

To get face-me components to render properly in animations, you need to choose "has animated objects".
This of course will increase render times significantly in biased render methods because loading the new position for the face-me for each frame will cause the light cache to need recalculation = increased render times and possible random splotchies depending on the render settings. (see Easy 1-7 Photon Mapping and Final Gather (Biased))
Attachments
has-animated-obects-face-me-fix.jpg
has-animated-obects-face-me-fix.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 7039 times

Equis

Post by Equis » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:39 am

Yeah, I did one set with animated objects and it did turn out blotchy.

Fletch, you'll be happy to know I'm using your 03b. Low+Flarefix render setting for the animations. They look great now, but I was getting horrible sparkles and shadow leaks until I--gasp--searched the forums and added your render settings to my list. :D