Twilight VS Kerkythea

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Zoom123

Twilight VS Kerkythea

Post by Zoom123 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:13 pm

Hello,

I understand that Twilight uses the same rendering engine as Kerkythea, is this correct?

Apart from working within SU and offering simplified options, does Twilight offer any other advantage over Kerkythea?

Also, what are the features / options of Kerkythea sacrificed in order to achieve the SU integration and simplicity of Twilight? In other words what can you do in Kerkythea (or do easier in Kerkythea) than you can't do with Twilight (or is more difficult to do with Twilight)?

Assuming that somebody is patient enough to learn Kerkythea, would having Twilight in addition to Kerkythea offer any benefits?

Thanks

TSPCo

Re: Twilight VS Kerkythea

Post by TSPCo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:56 am

You can render in Kerkythea, from the xml file, created by Twilight Render. Kerkythea has some options that are not available (or I haven't found them yet) in Twilight. One thing in particular is the fact that Kerkythea offers a normal map, and a bump map function Twilight only offers the bump map option. Kerkythea is not that hard to figure out, but there more options, as far as I can tell. I bought twilight and it works well. So it is up to you what to do. that is only my 2 cents worth. Perhaps others, will chime in, witheirs.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:53 pm

We will try to put together the Kerkythea vs. Twilight list.
The list is so long it could take several days to write. We would not be selling Twilight if it weren't better. :roll:

Zoom123

Post by Zoom123 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks Fletch!

My impression was that Twilight was much better in the ease of use department and integration with Sketchup (which are enough to justify the $99) but I didn't think it would have more benefits over Kerkythea since it is using the Kerkythea engine.

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 pm

You can buy a honda engine in a generator, or you can buy the same engine in a motorbike. It is still the same engine. One takes you further.