HI!!.. & problem with material..[RESOLVED]

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Smiley

HI!!.. & problem with material..[RESOLVED]

Post by Smiley » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi everyone!!!.. First of all, I would like to congratulate and thank everyone who's behind this AWESOME plugin (whoever they are). :D It seems so practical, easy and friendly!!!.. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!. :D . (I think I'm officially moving from KT to TL..)
I'm beginning to practice with my old bathroom scene.. and it's really so simple!!. I just have this tiny little issue: I have a translucent glass screen, and wanted to put one of Fletch's translucent glasses from the library. I did it, and it changed it's appearance in Sketchup showing the new glass. But when I render it, it appears a plain colour. :o So I selected it with TR's material editor again and it shows as if it is the plain material from the wall (and I'm shure it's the screen as I selected it by the material name). I'm attaching the screen view.
What am I doing wrong here?.. :?
Thanks again!!.. ;)
Attachments
bath screen.JPG
bath screen.JPG (202.81 KiB) Viewed 12434 times
Sandy

Solo

Re: HI!!.. & problem with material..

Post by Solo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Try clicking on texture with dropper then go to templates -> Generic -> reset. Then try again, sometimes textures get a little muddled so by reseting you can normally fix it.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi Smiley. Thanks for the praise!

There are some "rules" regarding materials in Twilight (this should definitely go in the FAQ ;) )
  1. Any face with a "Front" material applied will always use that material
  2. if not -- If that face is in a group or component, if that group or component has a material applied, it will use that material
  3. finally -- if the face has a back material applied, that material will be used
Maybe the geometry you can "see" is the back material. Since the back material is unassigned, it's showing the group / component material. However, maybe you have a front material assigned, but you can't see it. So twilight is rendering the front material, but SU is showing you the back? (Just a guess).

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:01 pm

this should be called "Twilight material priority order" and be in the troubleshooting section of the manual, too. :!:

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:27 am

Thanks guys for your quick answers!.. :D
Well.. I read your answer Chris about 8 times, and still didn't get it all in!.. :lol: :lol: but you where definitely right in some point. It was grouped and I think it might have had a different material. Don't know exactly WHAT I did, but it seems it's turning out fine! (cooking now).
Another question: There is no way of changing the scale of a material used from the library?.. not even applying the desing, then going back to Sketchup and modifying the size there?.

Thank you so much again!!.. ;)
Sandy

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:02 am

Twilight doesn't do any modifications or manipulations for libraries. They are treated as "black boxes". So there is, currently, no way to change a library materials parameters. however, you can control the UV scale of the model itself by applying a texture to the model and sizing it. This will effect the UV scale of the library.

In general, we hope and believe that 99% of the materials a user needs can be created using the templates, which give you full control of color, texture, and size. ;)

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Loving TL more each day!.. :D
Other questions regarding this same issue: I have a group of objects, for ex. walls, say with three diffente materials:
1. Is there a way of editing individually the materials inside the group, or I have to "explode" it?. :roll:
2. In case I accidentally gave the whole group a fourth material, how do I "reset" it?. :?

Thanks!!.. :D
Sandy

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:47 pm

1. Just double-click to enter the group and select individual faces.

2. There's a Ruby script that removes all group/component materials and leaves individual ones:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtop ... 80&t=13711

Smiley

Post by Smiley » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:30 am

:shock: , THANKS Miguel!!! :D :D
Sandy

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:36 am

nice ruby Miguel,
in order to remove the texture applied to a component or group in SketchUp:
ChangeMaterialOnGroupOrComponent.jpg
  1. Select the group or component
  2. Right-click and choose "Entity Info"
  3. The Entity Info dialog should open (It's also found via "Window>Entity Info")
  4. There will be a box showing the material applied
  5. Click that material box and scroll up to the top left material, it will be the default material
  6. Click the default material as the material to apply to the component or group.