Newbie problem with colours not rendering

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
janmc

Newbie problem with colours not rendering

Post by janmc » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:19 pm

Greetings all, I have a simple model with basic materials. Some brick from the default sketch up materials and some coloured panels where I chose a colour from the colour wheel (mac). The colour wheel colours are rendering as white, though the brick and standard colours are as their model colours. Can anyone help?

(As always this post is brought to you on a deadline, many thanks in advance for any help you can give)

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Newbie problem with colours not rendering

Post by Chris » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:18 pm

If the materials you apply in your SketchUp model aren't showing up as expected, this is almost always because you are looking at a back-face in SketchUp. If you apply a material to both the front-face and the back-face only the front-face material is used. If you apply a material to a group or component, then apply a material to the back-face in that component, only the group/component material is used. This is because each face can only be rendered with a single material and we have to pick one somehow.

You can find more information about this in our user manual. http://www.twilightrender.com/index.php ... ser-manual

The recommended workflow is to always make sure the front face of every surface is what you are looking at. You can certainly use backfaces but must be aware that front-face and group materials take precedence.

janmc

Post by janmc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:22 am

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the reply - that did the trick. :D How do you know what is front face and what is back? I ask because I copied and pasted this component from another model, and it rendered fine in the original file.

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:39 pm

The easiest way to see the back faces is to switch to Monochrome mode in SketchUp, View->Face Style->Monochrome. Then the front faces show up white and the back faces show up as a different color based on your style (by default a light blue).

janmc

Post by janmc » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Great, that's a huge help. Many thanks.