video screen sculpture at nightclub

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
shura
SketchUp: Pro 7.1

video screen sculpture at nightclub

Post by shura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:33 am

Hi,

First of all I want to shout THANK YOU to everyone who gave life to Twilight - this soft is pretty much what I had in mind for rendering inside SU, i am amazed!

To get familiar with lighting in TLR I continued on the model of a project I have already completed.

The task was to use a video moving system of a london based club to present the visual identity of a DJ's clubtour, which the club is hosting three times this year.

I use semi-transparent screens and projections quite often for nightlife installations, the projected picture gets mapped several times and thus creates dimension.

In TWL I did not yet find a material that displays a back-projection and has transparency at the same time. With template wax and SSS Density at 0.00

(thanks ecuadorian for shoji) the projection displays on every screen, but the "see-through" effect is not there.

(Not being an expert at all, I get this feeling that this is asked a bit too much at the start.)

Therefore the sculpture looks a bit flat in the render - but hey, making photos of the real thing seems as difficult as you can see below.

Another thing is that I am kind of confused by the behaviour of backsides and frontsides of SSS material. There are loads of grainy effects that I do not understand yet.

To save time I tested the lighting (spots and omnis in this case) in another file until satisfied, but when pasted into the set I get different results.

(I suppose the burnouts have to do with the SSS material and maybe even the viewing angle?)

Anyway, I am quite happy with this first picture, and I can't wait to learn more about how to get more out of Twilight.

I even think I could put this render into my portfolio, so please let me know your opinion and ideas.

thanks again
alex
Attachments
PhotoByVickieParker1.jpg
PhotoByVickieParker1.jpg (79.18 KiB) Viewed 6795 times
PhotoByVickieParker2.jpg
PhotoByVickieParker2.jpg (135.29 KiB) Viewed 6794 times
SinusTemplate11.jpg
SinusTemplate11.jpg (183.49 KiB) Viewed 6789 times

shura

Re: video screen sculpture at nightclub

Post by shura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:41 am

Ah, the picture upload is limited to three per post, is it?
Attachments
...pasted into the model some screens burn out ... no difference exept camera angle and lots of geometry around
...pasted into the model some screens burn out ... no difference exept camera angle and lots of geometry around
Sinus02.jpg (98.54 KiB) Viewed 6782 times
preparing the spots looks ok...
preparing the spots looks ok...
Sinus01.jpg (29.33 KiB) Viewed 6779 times

Ibon

Post by Ibon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:40 am

Tha last 2 pictures are really good, i've been trying to learn about SSS materials in TR but i'm not able to get your results. Could be possible to opload the panels skp model? or at least it's settings? Many thanks in advance!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 am

Do you need this animated, or do you need it only for still shots? I mean, are you trying to make an animation of the video changing over time by animating the rotation of the projector light?

I assume you are using a projector light? (see manual about projector lights)

Force an image to render unaffected by lighting
The technique described by Ecuadorian for using the Fake Emitter template for controlling the exposure on your image may be a fast-rendering technique for getting the look you want.

shura

Post by shura » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:44 am

Thanks Ibon and Fletch,

After looking at it today I think that the version with the projected pictures does really not work. I chose the intense patterns on purpose, to conceal the missing transparency, the result is too confusing.
Attached you find an example of three screens with spots and projector, maybe this makes it a bit clearer what I am missing.

Yes Fletch, its projection lights (my favorite tool). I have tried fake emitters too, but they seem not to come with transparency either, do they?
Learning how to bake animations with moving lights would be really nice - but no, I did not reach this stage of mastership at all, not yet :)
Still learning how materials behave...

cheers
alex
Attachments
screens_TWL.skp
try for yourself
(105.13 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
beware of the backsides of SSS material - funky, but hard to control...
beware of the backsides of SSS material - funky, but hard to control...
threescreensback.jpg (32.99 KiB) Viewed 6670 times
In reality a semi-tranparent screen makes it possible to see he other lights behind it -- maybe TWL can do this too, bu how?
In reality a semi-tranparent screen makes it possible to see he other lights behind it -- maybe TWL can do this too, bu how?
threescreens.jpg (30.63 KiB) Viewed 6670 times