Quick Doodle

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
EarthMover

Quick Doodle

Post by EarthMover » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:34 pm

Here's a quick doodle I was playing with today. About 30 minutes work....or should I say play. I was trying to test out the masking in relation to substituting grass into a render. Grass texture I got from here - http://www.redrockgc.com/course.JPG

BTW - If you need good eye level grass for this type of procedure...you can't beat Google Images. Just do a search for Golf Courses and set the search results to "large". Some of the nicest grass I've seen.
Raw Render
Raw Render
test scene1RS.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 8013 times
After PS
After PS
Quick DoodleRS.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 8018 times
Last edited by EarthMover on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Re: Quick Doodle

Post by Ecuadorian » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:50 pm

:shock: Really nice, Adam. I should start using this technique instead of my usually ugly grass textures.

Did you use a fuzzy selection in Photoshop for the mask?
I'm guessing you could have a quick, clean mask if you do another render with this preset:
Tech > 4)Specialized > 06.Diffuse Texture Pass.

This way you can use a texture instead of a color for your first render, thus providing grass reflections.

You could also use yet another render, this time applying a white color to the grass and use any of the lowest "Easy" presets, then use cut out the white part using the same mask you already have and blend it over your photo grass with "Multiply" layer mode, so as to provide shadows.

EarthMover

Re: Quick Doodle

Post by EarthMover » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:03 pm

Indeed. It's great isn't it! The blurriness on the edges is due to my quick and dirty clone stamping to add some grass around the edges. I think I may have had some opacity on the brush by mistake. All in good fun!

EDIT - Here's a quick DOF using a twilight depth map and photoshop Len Blur filter.
Attachments
Diffuse texture pass.jpg
Diffuse texture pass.jpg (18.42 KiB) Viewed 7981 times
With DOF
With DOF
DOF1RS.jpg (85.36 KiB) Viewed 7967 times