Mac version

For all the users of Twilight Render (V1 & V2), to ask questions and get started
Bob James

Mac version

Post by Bob James » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:57 pm

I've been using SU since it first came out and have tried three rendering tools none of which, at the moment, meet my needs. The level of sophistication coupled with ease of use in Twilight has me chomping at the bit for a Mac version.
I note that you're working on a Mac version: any releasable timetable?
Do you need any beta testers?
If you don't think ahead you'll be at the mercy of those that do - Ashleigh Brilliant
SU 7.1 and Win 7

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Re: Mac version

Post by Chris » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:05 pm

We likely will need testers when we get to that point, but we aren't there yet. No timeline, unfortunately, on when we'll have it available.

Bob James

Post by Bob James » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:25 pm

:cry:

Thanks anyway. Please keep me in mind for the future.
If you don't think ahead you'll be at the mercy of those that do - Ashleigh Brilliant
SU 7.1 and Win 7

Dylan
SketchUp: 8

Post by Dylan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:04 am

Bob there are several of us here running TR on either Parallels or VMWare.
It is far from ideal, rendering times are slower under this emulation, but it is better than not using TR!

I agree to chomping at the bit though for a Mac version :D

olishea

Post by olishea » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:57 am

bob: i am gagging for the mac version too. Just use vmware fusion for the time being and use windows like that....it's so easy....just make sure you mirror your desktop and files during setup.

so how much slower is vmware?

i am using an intel core 2 duo imac, 4gb ram (leopard OS), NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS (if this means anything). What sort of speed increase could I expect wit mac version? 50% faster? 100% faster?
Oli

Dylan
SketchUp: 8

Post by Dylan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:47 pm

With a couple of tests I have carried out, my mac is working around half speed of a similar specced PC.

For example on the worm test Fred posted, my PC rendered it at 47secs I think.
My MacBook Pro has a more powerful processor, and more memory, but renders it around 35 seconds longer.
Not a scientific test by any means, but any 3d type program be it Autocad, SU or TR is going to run far slower under Vmware or Parallels.

I think one work around is to run it via Bootcamp. You then should get the full system power which is not available under the above mentioned software.
Downside is you cannot switch between systems and I think it will mean another Windows install on my mac. I will look into it.

troyhome

Post by troyhome » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Anything at all I can do to get a Mac version going, let me know- I am willing to Alpha and Beta test.
Love TR!

Bob James

Post by Bob James » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:31 am

I do all of my SU7 work on my MacPro, but this program has so much potential that I've purchased a license and will run it in dual-boot mode on Windows 7 on my MacPro. This way I'll be ready for the Mac version when it comes out.

Go TR :clap:
SU 7.1 and Win 7

olishea

Post by olishea » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:44 pm

any news on release?
Oli

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:41 pm

Porting the code to Mac is turning out to be more difficult than expected. 99.9% of the code is cross platform, yet there are so many little difference when building software on a Mac that the term "cross platform" is just a mean little joke. However, it is being actively pursued. But I can't give any dates because it's all new territory for me. :oops: