Twilight materials in KT

Share your materials, models, and resources for Twilight
shareck

Twilight materials in KT

Post by shareck » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi. How can i use and tweak any material from Twilight library into Kerkythea?

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Re: Twilight materials in KT

Post by Fletch » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:41 pm

shareck

Post by shareck » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:48 pm

Thanks. I was actually looking for a way to use twilight materials in Kerkythea. But i figured how to do it. Just had to add the files of a twilight materials to ZIP archive and change the file extension to .mat.zip , and than import it to kerky.

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:14 pm

If you use both apps, it's even better to MOVE all your twilight mats to the Kerky folders and just point Twilight to those folders. Less mess and no incidental duplicates in Twilight while you can go on using and tweaking even library materials in Kerky once needed.
Gai...

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:53 am

shareck wrote:Hi. How can i use and tweak any material from Twilight library into Kerkythea?
:! you said the opposite, so... :totgm: :lol:

Gaieus is correct about that, if you use both apps, it's a good work flow to go that way - but ONLY if you are in a 'single user' situation. If you intend on sharing the model in an office situation, or with any user world-wide then you will not want to likely work this way. :|

Actually, we encourage users to avoid using libraries at all because of share-ability. If you use only native TWL libraries and Template materials it will share seamlessly with any user in the world... and the file size will be the same as a simple SketchUp model. :^:

Gaieus
SketchUp: 6 7 8

Post by Gaieus » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:31 am

That is true, Fletch. Very true and everyone has to be very careful about this.

Remember the "Twilight model via the 3D Warehouse" topic? There I also made it clear that although Twilight template settings are transferred with no problem, when you start using library materials (especially linked to other libraries than Twilight original/native that is installed on everyone's machine), you can get stuck so be extra careful.

However, there are so many, very cool material packs for KT which you may want to modify a little bit before hitting the render button, so you may want cross link these libraries.

To tell the truth, guys (and please, any KT Team member, don't get me wrong), although I had been a very regular lurker on the KT forums for years, I have to tell that I had several moments of frustration with it sometimes (and I am sure that KT could've been a lot more popular renderer if some little bits are more intuitive). Now as there is Twilight, I am so happy to be able to do almost everything in it by a snap and eventually and occasionally, when really needed, I already "dare to" export to KT and fiddle around with some final tuning of materials (and maybe ading an infinite plane and instancing and such).

I know you are working on some similar tools but still, it gives me a certain kind of feeling of safety that once I reach SU limits (like poly count and such), I can always carry on in KT.

This cross linking of the two apps is one of the greatest ideas you guys made in Twilight and I am very thankful for it (annd yes, I have started to use Kerky more often again ;) )
Gai...