Windows 7?

Whatever you want to talk about, but keep it clean
Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Windows 7?

Post by Ecuadorian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:01 am

Is it really worth it?

I'm torn between upgrading to Windows 7 or buying a netbook for home use. I'm in XP 32-bit right now.

Ecuadorian

Re: Windows 7?

Post by Ecuadorian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:03 am

After reading some more, it seems that Windows 7 has an XP mode, which, if I'm reading correctly, is like having a virtual machine running XP, which can be summoned when you have a program that won't work in Win 7. Has anyone tried this?

Also, my local distributor does not have the "Ultimate" edition... :( Does anyone use any of its extra features? (BitLocker, ability to switch languages)

notareal

Post by notareal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 am

BitLocker is great for business/government laptops and portable storages... There are alternative tools that can give near same functionality, like truecrypt. Switch languages is useful if computers are shared with people from different languages and they want to use it with they own language; in private use, maybe if kids and one of the parents speaks different language. Anyhow, these are features, that you most likely already know that you will need them. So if you need to ask, you don't need them. I would upgrade, if hardware is good for Windows 7, but there really is no hurry. Personally Vista was a failed experience, but Windows 7 works fine - XP is still good.
Last edited by notareal on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

WardNL
SketchUp: SketchUp 8 free

Post by WardNL » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:54 am

How many gigs RAM you've got Miguel?
Modelling my city for Google Earth:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... d3&ct=mdcc

Ecuadorian

Post by Ecuadorian » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:00 am

4 installed, 3 in use by XP, but I never go beyond 2GB when rendering with Twilight.
Everything is working fine, but if Windows 7 offers any performance boost in rendering over XP, then upgrading would make sense. I've never used data encryption and the ability to switch languages would probably go unused in an all-Spanish house. :roll:

notareal

Post by notareal » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:17 am

For me a general experience with Windows 7 is better when comparing to XP; All those nice UI enhancements, Windows Media Center, file browser and search. I have not done speed comparisons (still running with RC and even that wont loose to XP). Also I have understood that with i7/5 Turbo Boost should kick in faster when using Windows 7. I would consider only 64 bit version, even if there is only 4GB of memory.