Table Lamp [WIP]

Show what you're working on, get feedback and help
rclub24

Table Lamp [WIP]

Post by rclub24 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:32 pm

Hi,

Practicing with lights on self modelled lamp. I'm far from happy with glass, but i'd like some feedback and advice.
Lamp Render.jpg
Lamp Render.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 9912 times
I don't drink these days as i'm allergic to alcohol.
I breakout in handcuffs!

http://richardobrien.moonfruit.com/

rclub24

Re: Table Lamp [WIP]

Post by rclub24 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:35 am

Since the last post I've shut my mouth, memorized the manual, found out where i made some fundamental mistakes and corrected where i could.

Many thanks to those who answered my silly noob questions about lighting, render times etc.
Medium+
Medium+
Lamp Render [WIP].jpg (403.36 KiB) Viewed 9751 times
I breakout in handcuffs!

Chris
SketchUp: 2016

Post by Chris » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:17 am

Wow, very big improvements. Its good. The floor needs a bit of something, but overall, great lighting and I like the lamp.

Ecuadorian
SketchUp: 7.1

Post by Ecuadorian » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:27 am

Rich, I suspect you lowered your exposure after rendering, right? :?:

dspace
SketchUp: 7

Post by dspace » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:08 am

Nice try, I think probably due to the presets or materials, some of the lights are not showing.
Really hope you'll get it right. I'm having some issues too, esp when materials and lights are concern. :)

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:09 am

Interior 9 preset will not render caustics with spot or pointlights.
Use Interior 10 or any Easy 2-7 method and I believe you will see caustics. With Easy 2-5 these will be quicker, less realistic "pseudo caustics"... but these look more like what many people expect to see when they get caustics, so... :halo:

Can you post some of your glass material settings?
Have you noticed the lampshade material library that comes with Twilight? These work quite well.
Also the shoji screen material works quite well... even as a light bulb glass material!

If you are using Easy 9 or 10 exclusively, just paint the bulbs with light emitting material, as they do not slow down or speed up depending on the number of lights. Easy 1-7 of course will slow down with more lights.

rclub24

Post by rclub24 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Fletch wrote: Can you post some of your glass material settings?
Glass Settings.jpg
Glass Settings.jpg (64.84 KiB) Viewed 9616 times
Fletch wrote:Have you noticed the lampshade material library that comes with Twilight?
Yeah, I know of it but where and when to use is my next challenge. For a total noob it's a very slow learning process, rendering that is, not like modelling where you see instant results, and can delete mistakes immediately, rendering requires alot of understanding first then proper application. Something as simple as setting the background to black with the sun disabled, which may seem trivial to a regular user was a 'Eureka' moment for me. I could go on but feel this is not the time to highlight my inadequacies :oops:

Solo's Challenges on SCF have played a big role in this example as with Al Hart's Workshop.
Fletch wrote:If you are using Easy 9 or 10 exclusively, just paint the bulbs with light emitting material, as they do not slow down or speed up depending on the number of lights. Easy 1-7 of course will slow down with more lights.
I have know idea about light emitters, how they work or where i would use them? I know how to apply them and that you can make them fake or real but haven't gotten to learn about these yet.

Thanks for all your comments guys as they more feedback i get the more i understand my mistakes.

Also i'm currently cooking the same scene on Easy 10 for the last 4hrs, it is currently at 86 passes. How many should i leave it for?
I breakout in handcuffs!

rclub24

Post by rclub24 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Back Again and this is the result at Easy 10 for 7hrs...
Lamp Render Easy 10 7hrs [WIP].jpg
Lamp Render Easy 10 7hrs [WIP].jpg (318.47 KiB) Viewed 9606 times
Just noticed that the reverse side of the walls and floor had been textured with wood accidentally, would this have added to the render time?

Other than that i'm well $#@*ing happy :whoot:
I breakout in handcuffs!

Fletch
SketchUp: 2016-2023

Post by Fletch » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 pm

:clap: that is lovely, indeed!
What I respect here is that you've chosen a some-what simple scene to develop and learn on... many make the mistake of going over the top right from the start.

There is a lot to learn... on any program.

As far as "how long should I let it render?"... just stop it when you're happy. There will be a diminishing returns... so after 1000 passes with most scenes you will see not much improvement from that at 2000passes.
It's difficult to explain... let me try this:
If your ideal image is perfect crystal clarity = a "10" in quality
After first few minutes, the render will be a "1" in quality in your eyes
After 50 passes it may go from a "1" to a "5" in your eyes... pretty big jump
After 300 passes it may go from a "5" to an "8" in your eyes... not so bad
After 600 passes it may go from an "8" to a "8.5" or something... ok...
After 1000 passes it may be a "9"... hmm...
After 2000 passes it may be a "9.1"... whoa...
At 10000 passes it may or may not reach the "10"...

This will vary on every scene every lighting condition every type of material situation, etc... but it's kind of a generalization. Others may have better input for you.

Yes, well, we tried to include this info about the sky in the manual.... :totgm: may have to look over the manual, render a while, look over the manual again, have an "aha" moment... render some more... etc.

I watched the SketchUp Video tuts many many many times and learned something new many times. ;) It's how life is. :roll:

fymoro
SketchUp: 8

Post by fymoro » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:45 pm

:^: very nice mood on this render :^:
Cheers, Fred.
http://www.fredericmoro.com
Interior scene tutorial on Sketchup Artist http://www.sketchupartists.org/tutorial ... ht-render/